Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SMT climbs Noble Canyon
(meanwhile, temperatures in Hell continue to plummet)

This just in.

In what seemed an unlikely scenario, ShiverMeTimbers contacted SunnyRaceGirl in San Diego in late October, asking about riding in the San Diego area.

"Yeah," Sunny commented, "he called up and asked if I wanted to ride Noble. I said, 'Who is this?' 'Bob,' he says, 'you know, SMT.' So then I asked him, 'Who is this REALLY?'" The two agreed to meet in early November to ride Noble Canyon, a rocky, unforgiving, Yucca-and-cactus-strewn trail in the Cleveland National Forest. "It's fun. Except for the mountain lions and an occasional wild boar, Noble is mostly like a really long Super D course."

After loading Sunny's bike and gear into SMT's vehicle, they made their way to the summit for the 2-hour shuttled run down the Noble Canyon trail. When Sunny realized she forgot her gloves back at the base, she deftly fashioned open-fingered gloves from duct tape and old Luna bar wrappers. She lamented that a "Nuts Over Chocolate" wrapper would have matched her jersey better, but that one must do with what one has.

The going was smooth until ten minutes into the ride, when they came to the first slow gradual climb. SMT realized he'd received "bad intel". Standing over his bike and looking timorously at the flat earth that genlty sloped upwards for at least 10 feet, he asked, "What's this?" When informed that it was a climb that required one to pedal, he was heard to say, "But we shuttled up here... You mean there's climbing??"

SMT mustered his courage and began pedaling. "It was awkward at first, I mean, standing and actually turning the cranks. But once I got used to it, it wasn't so bad. I must have climbed, oh, at least 6 different times. On the same ride."

By the time they made it back to the parking lot, the sun was getting low on the horizon. Asked if she was worried about mountain lions on the trail, Sunny matter-of-factly dismissed the concern. "I know they're out there, but I figured I just had to out-pedal Shiver..."

SMT conquers yet another hill!

Almost there...

Woo-hoo!!

SMT on the rock drop

Sunny's gloves

Post-ride refreshment

A great afternoon! :)

·
high school loser
1,310 Posts
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, very well written i must say, hahaha, thats was funny.....

·
Registered
682 Posts
Great write up!
We used to get out to Noble quite a bit...Of course, we never shuttled and we wore lycra. Damn I miss riding out there.
One day we will move nack out
We will
We will
we will...
Damn I hate winter.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,878 Posts
ahhhh.....sunny you were not supposed to say I pedaled up those hills....thats "inbarrassin" for a DH shuttle monkey like myself.....what is WCH going to think??? I am so ashamed

·
surf-ride-repeat
2,486 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
ahhhh.....sunny you were not supposed to say I pedaled up those hills....thats "inbarrassin" for a DH shuttle monkey like myself.....what is WCH going to think??? I am so ashamed
Lycra and clipless pedals are just over the next 'hill' I am sure...

a las.

·
Registered
301 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
man that seemed like a 5 mile hill...it was way steeper than it looks
yeah dude...that's not an easy climb on big bike. Good job!
;)

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,615 Posts
Noble Climbs

Some of those flattish sections of Noble can get a bit Grindy... But the rest is so much fun. SMT, did you enjoy the ride? Extra Credit is fun, although I have only ever ridden it on a rigid SS...

JMH

SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
man that seemed like a 5 mile hill...it was way steeper than it looks

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,878 Posts
JMH said:
Some of those flattish sections of Noble can get a bit Grindy... But the rest is so much fun. SMT, did you enjoy the ride? Extra Credit is fun, although I have only ever ridden it on a rigid SS...

JMH
very much enjoyed it...would want a lesser travel bike for it though....took the long way back but that last section was way worth it...would do it again...how does San Juan compare???

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,878 Posts
kawboy8 said:
sunnyracegirl said:
SMT climbs Noble Canyon
(meanwhile, temperatures in Hell continue to plummet)

Cool Story and pictures. Hey Sunny, why the tape on your fingers? Injured, or preventing injuries? Nice ride guys.
don't worry I got the joke...hell will freeze over before SMT climbs...ha ha ha...I forgot to laugh

Sunny forgot her gloves and used tape

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.