Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I ride an 06 specialized hardrock right now here in the rolling hills of Oklahoma, I am looking for something that is a bit smoother in the tail for the tree roots and small rocks, but I don't want to get something heavier and less efficient on a climb (like with a basic full suspension frame). I spend a lot of time on a stiff rode bike and I enjoy its efficiency.

I have been looking at the older Trek stp's and Dean "softail" frames, but they are rare and pricey. I just bid on a Trek Stp200 frame for $475 but it went for $560, and that was more than I was willing to spend. I liked the things I have read about the stp (light, efficient and fast with some shock absorption).

FYI I am 22 and weigh 145 lbs

What am I missing? What are some other frames I should be looking at?

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!;)

·
Premium Member
7,994 Posts
Before you run out and buy a new frame lets look at a few other items:

1) Tire inflation. How much pressure are your running? At your weight, 25-35psi is going to be a good starting point. Are you running 40+?

2) What tires are you running? A large casing tall tire (i.e. Schwalbe 2.4, WTB Weirwolf 2.55LT) run at proper pressures will do wonders for your ride.

3) Have you considered a suspension seatpost?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1) I am running about 35-40, under that is just to mussy and slow... I am not really too anal on tire pressure so I am not for sure on those figures. I tend to not over inflate (rougher, more weight) I try to keep it in the middle.

2) Now you have a point here, I am running a Hutchinson spyder 1.85 in the rear... for a reason too, its lighter weight rotational mass... never get pinch flats...

3) suspension seat post... honestly I have always thought they were a joke, they don't look like they would work.... something for the beach cruiser..... and this is just my arrogance, I haven't looked at them closely.

thanks for the thoughts, I don't think these things will satisfy my wants... unless people can testify that they actually could.

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
Mason71 said:
1) I am running about 35-40, under that is just to mussy and slow... I am not really too anal on tire pressure so I am not for sure on those figures. I tend to not over inflate (rougher, more weight) I try to keep it in the middle.

2) Now you have a point here, I am running a Hutchinson spyder 1.85 in the rear... for a reason too, its lighter weight rotational mass... never get pinch flats...

3) suspension seat post... honestly I have always thought they were a joke, they don't look like they would work.... something for the beach cruiser..... and this is just my arrogance, I haven't looked at them closely.

thanks for the thoughts, I don't think these things will satisfy my wants... unless people can testify that they actually could.
lower pressures will help soften the ride up. I run anywhere from 20 - 25psi depending on conditions.

Looks like you're on skinny tyres already so i'm gonna skip that about weight

Suspension seatposts are a joke imo. Why would you be sitting down in the rough stuff??? Should be standing up and using your legs as suspension... Not your butt... hahahahahaha

·
Premium Member
7,994 Posts
Mason71 said:

A frame gives very little, period. You are running extremely small thin tires that transmit a great deal of shock while providing minimal traction. For a minimal gain in weight (less than 100 grams) you can go to a high volume tire that will take the harshness out of the ride.

Don't be so obsessed with weight, it does very little unless you are racing, and then it only makes a difference because the competitors are so closely matched.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okay I am going to try going tubeless with stans no tube fluid, I have before and I remember it being a smoother ride.

I am still up for any other recommendations

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.