Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So does anyone here smoke cigs and go out and ride once a week or so? How about as soon as you ride a nice 12 miles in 90 degree weather and then you light it up? Am I the only one lol?? I'm also pushing around a 38lb haro extreme 3. I love xc but I wanted a bike that I can do some northshore and some jumps with out worring about getting creaks in my bike and eventually breaking my frame. So anyways..I was just curious....Smoking and riding anybody???
Dan in Nc

·
Registered
26 Posts
truth be known

smokers are losers,
to me a smoker is up there with a fat bastard...

unhealthy, un willing to look after themselves and inevitably unproductive members of society whom get sick more and drain the health system thru selfishness

If you are sick due to your habbits, you work less. Its just a reflection of our western societies. 2000 years ago the unhealthy were disposed of in a manner that saw them given the last preference by others in all parts of life.

Gee haven't we come a long way....2000 years and all we do know is make excuses for them.

go one have a few puffs on your cancer sticks ...your poor addict :eek:

·
Slowpoke
234 Posts
I used to

I actually used to smoke while riding if the trail was flat enough. But that was years ago and i've since quit because of riding. It makes the hills feel smaller now, and I feel better too. But I'm not preaching so don't take it that way. Just enjoy your rides no matter how you like em, smokin or not. :D

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Riding was one of the key factors that made me quit smoking. I always found it strange that after a hard ride, the first thing I wanted to do was smoke a cigarette.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
huddled_mass said:
Riding was one of the key factors that made me quit smoking. I always found it strange that after a hard ride, the first thing I wanted to do was smoke a cigarette.
Yeah..i dont smoke alot..only about 4 a day if that. Have quit several times and should again forever but just havnt. I am in no way a fat lazy bastard. We all have bad habits...this is just one of the really bad ones ....anyways..I knew I was gonna get some people getting all pissy about this thread...cya
dan in nc

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
noonan28105 said:
Yeah..i dont smoke alot..only about 4 a day if that. Have quit several times and should again forever but just havnt. I am in no way a fat lazy bastard. We all have bad habits...this is just one of the really bad ones ....anyways..I knew I was gonna get some people getting all pissy about this thread...cya
dan in nc
Some people just look for reasons to get pissy and judgemental. It makes them feel good about themself.

Dan in MD

·
Registered
78 Posts
bricklin69 said:
The world is overpopulated with humans anyway. Go ahead, smoke and do crazy stunts.

Live fast and danger!
Yeah no joke, I figure that people now days that know the obvious stupidity of smoking is just helping everyone else be cleaning out the gene pool a bit.

·
Complete Bastard
2,282 Posts
num1badz said:
Yeah no joke, I figure that people now days that know the obvious stupidity of smoking is just helping everyone else be cleaning out the gene pool a bit.
Smoking doesn't clean out the gene pool because most smokers don't die till long after they've passed their genes on. You gotta die before you reproduce to help clear the gene pool.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Everything in moderation

I smoke about a pack a week, I get so much crap from people that I should just quit!!! It drives me crazy!!! When I say "But I don't WANT to quit, I enjoy smoking!" I always hear the same thing "well, it's because you are addicted!!!" I have won a few $20 bets that I couldn't stop smoking for a week. Even my riding buddies who smoke pot look down on me for smoking cigarettes!!! :eek: If I were to smoke a cigar I doubt I would get as much grief (I know you can argue that you don't inhale with a cigar, but the 2nd hand smoke from a cigar, that burns for much longer, sure ain't helpin').

I'm not stupid, I realize that smoking is damaging to my health, so is the alcohol that I drink, the processed foods I consume, and all the other environmental hazards that plague all of us. Despite these hazards, I somehow remain a productive member of society :D

Believe it or not, I kind of agree with Buzlytyr. Most (heavy) smokers are losers, so are the people who can't control their desire for fast food, alcohol, or drugs, but unlike those 3 addictions, tobacco, without a doubt, contributes more to the "system" than it takes! If everyone in the world stopped smoking tomorrow we would have an economic depression that would take decades to recover from. Not to mention the loss of tax revenue from not only tobacco companies' profits, and also the huge taxes levied on every pack sold!

Sorry for the rant! I just hate others telling me what I should and should not do. As my grandfather once told me "you don't really live longer if you avoid alcohol & tobacco, it just feels that way"

·
Complete Bastard
2,282 Posts
Friar said:
If everyone in the world stopped smoking tomorrow we would have an economic depression that would take decades to recover from. Not to mention the loss of tax revenue from not only tobacco companies' profits, and also the huge taxes levied on every pack sold!
Thank you for supporting the system by continuing to smoke. I realize it must be a big sacrifice, and I appreciate your stepping up to take the burden off those of us who don't want to smoke. Here's to you, mister "I'm smoking to support the economy" guy!

As an aside, it wouldn't be an economic depression at all, because the money gained in taxes on smoking is more than offset by the increased cost of healthcare for smoking-related illnesses.

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
11,716 Posts
Smoking sucks

noonan28105 said:
So does anyone here smoke cigs and go out and ride once a week or so? How about as soon as you ride a nice 12 miles in 90 degree weather and then you light it up? Am I the only one lol?? I'm also pushing around a 38lb haro extreme 3. I love xc but I wanted a bike that I can do some northshore and some jumps with out worring about getting creaks in my bike and eventually breaking my frame. So anyways..I was just curious....Smoking and riding anybody???
Dan in Nc
I smoked and rode for about 6 months. Then i quit smoking. Dude all your doing is killing yourself.....

·
Who are the brain police?
10,112 Posts
Ahhh, a man of no vices then? Good for you! You must be the most productive member in society to stand on the soapbox and spew your pious opinions as you look down on all those smokers.

I don't smoke cigs, so am I also better than noonan28105 and his smoking ilk?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey, look, I'm a smoker!

That must make me unhealthy, lazy, evil, and a drag upon society!

Give me a friggin' break. If you are going to judge somebody simply because they smoke, how about because they drink? Or because of what they eat? Or how about if they come home from work and watch TV?

I smoke. About three packs a week. Yes, I know its bad for me. I don't want anyone to make excuses for me. I won't make any for myself. I know that I should quit, but to be honest, I'm not ready yet.

And one thing I've figured out in life, it is extremely difficult to change your lifestyle/break your habits unless you are ready to, and want to. Changed circumstances can force them upon you, sure, I'm talking about in the normal course of life. How can you motivate yourself to do something you resent? Especially when it is voluntary, like biking, or jogging, or quitting smoking? I recently took up mountain biking because I was ready to. I was at a point where I was frustrated about my lack of activity, and felt a burning need to do something about it. The same with my diet. And now its changing to.

I do plan to quit smoking, but on my own terms, when I decide to, not when I'm told to by society. In the meantime, well, it's like swinging a bat with a donut on it.

And for the record, I'm a libertarian. I think people should be free to smoke, drink, and honestly whatever they care to, AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T HARM ANYBODY ELSE. And I also think people should accept the full responsibility of their actions. So if you smoke and get cancer, eat to much and get heart disease or diabetes, you lie in the bed you made, and the state doesn't pay for you at someone else's expense.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need a cigarette.

·
|i|
352 Posts
Ride for 12 miles and then light up?

haha....f*ck you, lungs!

seriously though, that sounds painful.

noonan28105 said:
Dan in Nc

·
Complete Bastard
2,282 Posts
Ex smokers are the worst about preaching. I used to smoke, and I try not to drag on people about it, but I don't care to smell it or be around it. I don't know why, but when I first quit it didn't bother me, now, seriously, just a whiff of smoke and my sinuses go nuts and I'm instantly stopped up. Acquired sensitivity or something. I hope nobody took my reply to friar as preaching, I was just trying to poke fun at his rationalization of smoking by saying that if everyone quit, it would be chaos. Pretty funny. In the last election there was a bill to levy a huge tax on smokers, and I voted against it. I don't believe you should tax something to death to discourage it. If people want to smoke, great! If they wanna ride motorcycles with no helmets, great! It's your life. Most people these days are far more concerned with what everyone else is doing than what they're doing, and I think that's probably generally a bad thing, worse than smoking. IMHO.

·
Registered
804 Posts
noonan28105 said:
Dan in Nc
Only request that I have is if you are going to smoke please pick up after yourself. Why is it acceptable to just fling your butts on the street, out the car window, leave them on the beach, etc? I'm not saying you do this in particular but cigarette users as a whole don't seem to find garbage recepticles very often.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Buzlytyr said:
smokers are losers,
to me a smoker is up there with a fat bastard...

unhealthy, un willing to look after themselves and inevitably unproductive members of society whom get sick more and drain the health system thru selfishness

If you are sick due to your habbits, you work less. Its just a reflection of our western societies. 2000 years ago the unhealthy were disposed of in a manner that saw them given the last preference by others in all parts of life.

Gee haven't we come a long way....2000 years and all we do know is make excuses for them.

go one have a few puffs on your cancer sticks ...your poor addict :eek:
So nice of you to categorize EVERYONE including people you DON'T know. :mad:

Tell that to 2 of my bro's who WON the 4 Man 24 hour race at Laguna Seca this year.

I used to smoke a pack a day myself 10 years ago.

My MOM still smokes, you calling her a loser? She's a pretty nice lady I tend to think.
- Hey there's a thought......Why don't YOU THINK before you say something REAL STUPID!!!

·
Registered
327 Posts
frank n. beans said:
Only request that I have is if you are going to smoke please pick up after yourself. Why is it acceptable to just fling your butts on the street, out the car window, leave them on the beach, etc? I'm not saying you do this in particular but cigarette users as a whole don't seem to find garbage recepticles very often.
A-freakin-MEN

·
Registered
56 Posts
Oh Really

Belisarius said:
And for the record, I'm a libertarian. I think people should be free to smoke, drink, and honestly whatever they care to, AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T HARM ANYBODY ELSE. And I also think people should accept the full responsibility of their actions. So if you smoke and get cancer, eat to much and get heart disease or diabetes, you lie in the bed you made, and the state doesn't pay for you at someone else's expense.
QUOTE]

Smoking and obesity do harm others by increasing insurance premiums. Like most companies we pay a flat rate for health insurance regardless of physical condition or habits. Why should I supplement someone's cancer or heart disease? I have yet to hear of a smoker willing to cover their own medical expenses for treatment due to smoking.

I'd like to see national health coverage and heavy taxes on the causes to cover their treatment. Likely see rises in taxes on everything from big macs to plastics and gasoline.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.