Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Funny, and true. My first impression of your post was to say you need to increase your cadence when doing those long climbs but then you dropped the e-bomb.

I did some fat biking over the last two days and encountered a married couple on two fat ebikes, I had pulled over to the side after a long climb to drop a layer an as the couple passed, one said "make way for the cheaters"

I guess what I am also trying to say is maybe we don't have to compare ourselves to e-bike people, it's just different.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,539 Posts
Interesting thread title, and I like your final sentence.

That is all, I have no opinion on the matter. ;)

·
Registered
360 Posts
I was hoping this thread was about being tailgated by someone using a CatEye 6000 and cooking your rump roast.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Orange County, California - Park Rules

According to the posted rules there is a 10mph max speed limit that is enforced... Do you ever see rangers writing tickets for that out there? I wonder if the eBikes were traveling up the hill at more than the posted speed limit?
I hope they don't enforce the 10mph speed limit. I take it pretty slow and it would even be hard for me to stay below 10mph on downhills. That is a goose/gander resolution.

John

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
That is TRULY sad and a sad, sad, glimpse into how lazy today's society is becoming :skep: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I agree completely, my philosophy has always been "to each their own"; different doesn't mean better or worse.

I'm just glad that, for today, I don't have to accept that I got smoked by younger people and therefore have to accept my inevitable physical decline as I move through my Fifties ( and towards an e-bike!)
LOL. I think I am heading that way as well.....You young people have no excuse though.....Damn it!!!!

Eric

·
Registered
947 Posts
What a bizarre thing to tie to age.

The only person I know with an eBike is near 40 and quite fit. Should I be sad that a fit guy uses an eBike or is it ok because he's not a millenial?

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Yes, yes you should and you should give him lots of hassle for it, let him know he's a lazy focker and no need for it, unless he wants to use it to commute to work etc, then excellent choice instead of a vehicle, that is what e-bikes were designed for :D

What a bizarre thing to tie to age.The only person I know with an eBike is near 40 and quite fit. Should I be sad that a fit guy uses an eBike or is it ok because he's not a millenial?

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
e-bikes aren't for me - yet. At 66 tho, I can imagine the day I might need one to keep going - I surely hope not, but who knows. I suppose one can think of it as just another bit of mechanical technology that makes the ride easier in one way or another. Think suspension, 29er, plus. Someone bombing down a rocky hill on a FS could pass a rigid rider and just as easily say "Make way for the cheater". Change happens. I do think there needs to be a limit on e-bike power when riding shared trails. For the safety of others as well as for the trial.

·
The perfessor
814 Posts
- I've ridden with a 60+ yr. old guy who's bad-to-the-bone; he won't tell me his real age but I'm 54 and I've been riding the same trails with him for over 20 years.......he's got the NICEST Niner SS 29er - Chris King BB / headset, CF i9 wheels, total wt. = 18 lbs. - and he rides 3-4 days per week.....he still drops me easy and I've watched him pass almost everyone, including fit millenials........if there were ever a person I personally knew who was the closest thing to Ned Overend, this would be the guy....

·
Rent this space for $
3,641 Posts
Ran into my first Turbo Levo rider illegally riding my local non-motorized trail network. I was solo and had just summited a chunky climb and was taking a quick breather before moving on and here he came from the opposite side. Dude was wearing golf shorts, and a t-shirt. No pack, no water, just out for an illegal trailblaze. He looked pretty fresh with nary a bead of sweat on his brow. He stopped next to me as I looked down at his motorcycle and commented "Ohhh...a Turbo Levo, huh?" He started in with the accolades of how awesome it was and how much fun he was having. I commented "Yeah, I've ridden one...how couldn't it be fun when you can go fast with minimal effort?" His reply was "Hey, I'm 54 and I really gotta start being careful, ya know?!" To which my reply was "yeah...funny thing...I'll be 55 in 20 days and this is my 3rd ride after building this brand new rigid steel frame singlespeed Karate Monkey...don't kill any hikers on the way down with your motorcycle" as I blasted away from him and down the chunky singletrack. If I see him again, I'm gonna put a stick in his spokes.

·
Poser
263 Posts
Why would you be threatened or annoyed by somebody who's not playing the same game you are? Whether it's full-e or e-assist, both they and you know it's not the same game, the same effort, so why would it make you angry? I don't get mad at cars when I go on rides on the street?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,454 Posts
I don't get mad at cars when I go on rides on the street?

Neither do I, that would be silly. The difference is simple, lots of people, some of them mountain bikers, go to certain trails specifically to avoid motor traffic.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Earlier, I posted that e-bikes were just another change - that maybe I'll need one someday to keep me riding. Around here, there are no truly easy trails. But I realized that if I was too weak to pedal the bike through challenging terrain, I'd probably be too weak to control it. Ah well, there's always the rail trails. Then shuffle board. And when shuffle board gets to be too much, perhaps I'll have mellowed out enough to take up golf again.

And it just occurred to me that I while I don't mind pulling over to let a faster rider pass, I'm not sure I'd feel the same about a bike with a motor. I'm just a grumpy old crank after all, I guess. Get off my lawn.

·
GONE
25,875 Posts
I've seen two e-bikes in Cherry Canyon since this Fall. There are signs clearly posted at all entrances that no motorized vehicles are allowed up there.

Since no law enforcement agencies are doing anything about this (before it get's to be a HUGE problem), perhaps us naturally powered mountain bikers should take matters into our own hands. Have you seen those car motor killers devices that law enforcement uses to kill moving, fleeing vehicles? That might just work on these battery powered beasts, too.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts