Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I here that the smoke is bad up in Downieville? There is no place for the smoke to go with the high canyons. Hope its gone in a few weeks. I was talking with the Forest service and they said if it does not get better they may put a hold on all events in the national forest. Not sure if its true, but they did just stop the Western states 100 endurance race.
Which they called two days before the event and there are no refunds to the racers. People come from all over the world for that event.
First time in 35 years and its the biggest trail ultra race in North America so you never know what the Forest Service will do.
They called the race due to mainly to smoke. Let's hope thats no the case with Downieville. Let's hope not.:nono:

·
Team Fearless Descender
1,976 Posts
(bump) - interested in this post. I'm in Folsom, up from SCal, riding (trying) and visiting a local builder. Smoke is bad here. Today we did Salmon Falls in the smoke. Sunday 6/29 we head for D-Ville for 3 days, and then on to N*. I'm hoping that things improve, and that things don't get closed down.

Any further info would be great.

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
Unless things hold up to the exact current conditions, I doubt there will be any smoke two weeks from now. Yes, I am going to keep telling myself this until it comes true.

·
Team Fearless Descender
1,976 Posts
Any update on what is happening in D-Ville? Heading up tomorrow for 3 days. Smoke is better down in Folsom today, so I'm hoping / crossing fingers.

·
feeling squirrelly
712 Posts
Our friends got in Friday and said it was clear until an afternoon breeze brought the smoke in. Wnen we got there Saturday it was very hazy with smoke. Today it seemed like it was clearing. Fingers crossed for the classic.

·
Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!
799 Posts
I was up there Fri- Sunday. friday was clear, Saturday got a bit smoky when the wind changed, and Sunday was gorgeous. I did the XC course on Sat, then rode at Malakoff Diggins on the S Yuba on Sunday.

Lungs kinda burn from the climb on Sat, but that's it...
Not as bad as Wed/ thurs.

·
Registered
50 Posts
tahoe is a mess today

Smoke just blew in bad this afternoon. We're even getting some pretty significant ashfall. Don't know what is going on in Dville right now, but if it's similar, it's definitely not air worth breathing.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My guess is if the air quality is in 200's I'm not sure they would hold the race. They cancelled the WS100 and the air was nowhere nearly as bad as it was today..... fingers and nutsak crossed.

·
Guesswho117
254 Posts
Just came back from Downieville yesterday. The skies were clear and blue on the first shuttle up to Packer Saddle at 10 AM. On our second shuttle up at 2PM, the very same skies were grey and smokey. However once we got riding, no one mentioned it again. The smoke never really seem to bother myself or anyone else. The only issue was it was HOT!

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
Zen_Turtle said:
Why? Bikers don't breathe?
Well, I mean, us bikers are just more manly beasts than runners and those tri-guys. :D

It was pretty damn smokey when we were up there, but I did not have any issues with my lungs afterwards.

You going to race or what? If it comes to it, you can camp on the lawn at the house. ;)

·
Natural body armor
2,178 Posts
Not good...

"Northstar XC Opener Cancelled

I just got word from the folks up at Northstar at Tahoe that tonight's Cross Country series opener has been cancelled due to smoke. More information as I get it.

If the smoke up there is anywhere near as bad as it has been down the western slope, this is definitely the right call."

http://norcalmtnbikeracing.blogspot.com/2008/07/northstar-xc-opener-cancelled.html

·
Registered
38 Posts
carson/reno area is socked in bad. can't see the sierra from near the airport. rode in this stuff last night up a burly climb and with the heat, i was cooked. ash falling too. worse than it was a couple weeks ago.

·
Urban Ninja
2,381 Posts
punkassean said:
my buddy has been up there since monday and said the mornings are pretty good but in afternoon the smoke can blow in. I think we'll be okay, or at least I hope so.....he did say its really hot though.
What is up dude? It's Justin. Remember the one who had the stuck down DHX air that you fixed and saved my SB trip? You gonna be in Dville this year? What are you racing?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tevis 100 cup cancelled.

Lets see how smart you are. After two of the biggest ultra endurance events have been called off in the last two weeks because of the bad air ? WS 100 and Tevis Cup.
You make the call?. You can aways race another day?. Hopefuly it clears up for the cross country event. God speed
I

·
VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
1,159 Posts
I just got back and it was pretty smoky today. I can feel it in my lungs a bit now and am very flemy. We did the xc course from Sierra City.
I think the visibility down below was about 3-4 miles and above about 6-7.

Oh, and hot too.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.