Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle accessory

Have a pair of 27.5x3" tires & wheels left over from my Trail Pistol so I thought I'd give 'em another try. Hope Pro4 hubs in the middle and RaceFace ARC45 hoops under the Nobby Nics.

Whenever I used to ride these wheels I kinda wished they were bigger around. Not wider, just bigger around. I'm definitely a 29 guy, possibly on his way to being a 29+ guy... time will tell. Anyway in their own way these little wheels were also fun so here we go again.
=sParty

·
Premium Member
10,930 Posts
View attachment 1247336

Have a pair of 27.5x3" tires & wheels left over from my Trail Pistol so I thought I'd give 'em another try. Hope Pro4 hubs in the middle and RaceFace ARC45 hoops under the Nobby Nics.

Whenever I used to ride these wheels I kinda wished they were bigger around. Not wider, just bigger around. I'm definitely a 29 guy, possibly on his way to being a 29+ guy... time will tell. Anyway in their own way these little wheels were also fun so here we go again.
=sParty
That's how I ride my Smash, but wth 2.8's, great fun, though soon to be even more fun when my Revved Shred Dogg arrives!!

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know I could fit bigger 29" tires onto my main wheelset.

Currently I'm running 2.6" wide tires front & rear:
  • Front = WTB Vigilante (light)
  • Rear = Schwalbe Magic Mary (light)
If you know these tires, "light" ain't light. But I love these tires.
They're mounted to i30 rims front & rear.
I see lots of room for bigger meat in both frame and fork.

So as long as I'm dreaming about a new set of even mo' plusish tires, how about discussing the optimum inner width rim for a 29x2.8" tire? I don't feel like wanderin' over to that other MTBR forum right now. I'm guessing 35mm (educated guess) but I bet there's nothing wrong with an i40 rim for a 2.8" tire, too. Right? :) Hope not, cuz i40 is the width I got for my upcoming bike, based on: I want a rim that'll fit any tire between 2.6 and 3.25".
=sParty

·
Registered
727 Posts

So as long as I'm dreaming about a new set of even mo' plusish tires, how about discussing the optimum inner width rim for a 29x2.8" tire? I don't feel like wanderin' over to that other MTBR forum right now. I'm guessing 35mm (educated guess) but I bet there's nothing wrong with an i40 rim for a 2.8" tire, too. Right? :) Hope not, cuz i40 is the width I got for my upcoming bike, based on: I want a rim that'll fit any tire between 2.6 and 3.25".
=sParty
I run i36mm rims. bontrager 3in and McFly 2.8 fit great. 2.5wt Maxxis tires were a little squared off.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,229 Posts

=sParty
Sparty, fwiw I moved to from 30 to 35i so I could use up to 3" tires (on multiple GG bikes) when desired. ± that inside width seems to be a good bridge between "normal" size tires and plus, but for all plus I'd do what you did. I'm not a plus tire expert by any stretch, just want that capability for forthcoming options.

·
Premium Member
10,930 Posts

=sParty
Biggest tire I cleared succesfully at full compression, with a comfort zone of ~8mm, was a McFly.

Width is not the issue, it's the diameter and seat post contact at full compression.

Supposedly the Revved frames are tighter.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,930 Posts
I'm running nearly the same on my Pedalhead, except with a WTB Trail Boss 2.6" in back. I'm really loving it, and they are certainly riding "lighter" than I feel like they should based on their weights on the scale.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wahahahaha! Wrong forum dood, there ain't no one here that's gonna ride that noodle and think it's anywhere near what GG has cookin' ;)
Ben, I wonder your train may have jumped its track before you thoroughly read the posts preceding yours. Let's back up a minute. vikb said:
29+ is a great tire format. I've had one since 2014, but pretty scarce when it comes to FS bikes. The only non-custom option that comes to mind is Lenz.
Sparky697 simply pointed out there's another production FS 29+ bike available, namely the Trek Full Stash. He didn't say the Full Stash is better or worse than anything else out there -- that wasn't part of the discussion -- he merely pointed out that the Full Stash is another production FS 29+ in a universe where such bikes are scarce.

No need for ridicule. I appreciate Sparky697's input. Thanks.
=sParty

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.