Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a tricky question to ask in a forum that's all about one manufacturer, but I'm curious to hear a little bit more about peoples' experience with Revved Smash relative to some other modern 29er enduro bikes.

I'm coming off of a Sentinel which I've been on for 2 seasons now. It has been an awesome bike, but the rear suspension has been finicky and its a tank - mine is aluminum and weighs 35 pounds with air suspension and EXO tires.

The Smash is an appealing option as a potential replacement because I really like the design approach that GG seems to take - solve for functionality first, then figure out how to package it in a reliable package with contemporary geometry. And make it here.

My concern, though, is that since selling my DH bike, I've been using my Sentinel for just about everything, and there are certainly situations where I wish I had a little more than 140mm of travel out back. I can't tell how much of that sensation is due to continued setup issues, or if I'm truly pushing hard enough that 140mm just doesn't quite cut it.

Has anyone here ridden the Smash relative to some of the other latest-and-greatest big travel 29ers, and how has it compared when the going gets rough and steep? I'm thinking comparisons to the Megatower, Meta 29, Process 153 29, etc.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My experience after converting my 27.5 Shred Dogg to a 29er (set up in gravity mode with a 145mm coil out back and a 150mm ribbon up front) was that the bike didn't feel too big at all. In fact, the rear end was smashy AF and felt bottomless with a coil on it. This was the aluminum 2018 model. I haven't spent any time on the bikes you mentioned (or in that category) above, but I am now on a Revved Trail Pistola 150f/130r and love it. The Smash should only feel slightly longer with the 10mm longer fork (160 vs 150) and the longer chain stays. I pedaled a Smash around Guerrilla Gravity shredquarters for a little concrete tour and was suprised at how nimble it was. In fact, it felt like a much smaller bike (in a good way). With the new Geo Adjust Headset you'll be able to adjust your reach and wheelbase by 10mm in seconds. So you can get a big plow sled feel for DH days with a longer reach, and shorten it up if you want for more trail oriented days.

·
Premium Member
10,561 Posts
The Smash rides taller and feels longer than the Sentinel.

If I wanted a mid travel 29er, I’d get a Sentinel Carbon or a Slash.

What didn’t you like about the Sentinel rear suspension?

So maybe an upgrade to the Carbon Sentinel and get the shock tuned or try a coil?

If you need more travel than 140mm, neither the Smash nor the Sentinel is enough bike.

This ^ is the dilemma: sold the DH bike but still riding DH.

The Process 153 is s nice bike, maybe something like that would fit between a DH bike and the Sentinel.

Why not 27.5? More compact and more agile than 29.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the shock tuned on my Sentinel already, the frame doesn't have nearly enough progression for a coil shock so that's not really an option. Main gripe with the Sentinel rear suspension is performance on repeated big hits - I'm running well over the recommended pressure, but the shock still seems to want to sit in the midstroke rather than riding taller, which makes the 140mm of travel feel a bit harsh over big repeated hits. The geometry is fantastic and I've loved the low-slung feel paired with the way that the big wheels roll over big holes,

The DH bike was sold because I wasn't riding lift access nearly as much anymore - most of the really good steep/tech trails here in the Seattle area are pedal accessible only, so having a downhill bike doesn't make sense. Instead, a highly capable enduro bike is absolutely the way to go, though you end up asking a lot from the bike.

The carbon Sentinel is definitely on the radar as a potential next bike, as is the Process 153. I've heard that GG has managed to build a bike with a really supportive rear suspension, which sounds appealing and may be enough to sway me from the Sentinel despite only being 5mm more travel.

·
Premium Member
10,561 Posts
I have the shock tuned on my Sentinel already, the frame doesn't have nearly enough progression for a coil shock so that's not really an option. Main gripe with the Sentinel rear suspension is performance on repeated big hits - I'm running well over the recommended pressure, but the shock still seems to want to sit in the midstroke rather than riding taller, which makes the 140mm of travel feel a bit harsh over big repeated hits. The geometry is fantastic and I've loved the low-slung feel paired with the way that the big wheels roll over big holes,

The DH bike was sold because I wasn't riding lift access nearly as much anymore - most of the really good steep/tech trails here in the Seattle area are pedal accessible only, so having a downhill bike doesn't make sense. Instead, a highly capable enduro bike is absolutely the way to go, though you end up asking a lot from the bike.

The carbon Sentinel is definitely on the radar as a potential next bike, as is the Process 153. I've heard that GG has managed to build a bike with a really supportive rear suspension, which sounds appealing and may be enough to sway me from the Sentinel despite only being 5mm more travel.
Okay, so yeah, GG most definitely has a supportive suspension design, but some folks complain it's too firm, not sure if you can have your cake and eat it too, but I've found the GG bikes ride best with a coil.

On my aluminum Smash I really liked the ride with a Super Deluxe Coil, not so much with the DB Coil.

On my Revved Shred Dog I have mixed feelings about my Bomber CR Coil, it is "overly damp" which is probably the tune, so I'm going to get it revalved locally.

I think you ride bigger than me, I really don't ride park, not much into jump lines, my riding is mostly all mountain, natural features, drops and chunder at speed. I rarely if ever have felt that my GG bikes are overwhelmed.

They really are meant for going fast.

·
Registered
743 Posts
The Smash rides taller and feels longer than the Sentinel.

If I wanted a mid travel 29er, I'd get a Sentinel Carbon or a Slash.

What didn't you like about the Sentinel rear suspension?

So maybe an upgrade to the Carbon Sentinel and get the shock tuned or try a coil?

If you need more travel than 140mm, neither the Smash nor the Sentinel is enough bike.

This ^ is the dilemma: sold the DH bike but still riding DH.

The Process 153 is s nice bike, maybe something like that would fit between a DH bike and the Sentinel.

Why not 27.5? More compact and more agile than 29.
When you say the Smash rides taller, are you referring to the Revved Smash in particular or the older models too?

Also, by "taller" do you mean that you feel like you're on top of the bike more? If so, what do you think the cause is? The suspension design keeping you in the top half of the travel more, too long of a seat tube, too short of a dropper, or something else?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm interested in hearing some more opinions on this as well from people who have a Revved Smash. I'm looking for a one-bike that I can ride occasionally at the bike park and put a light wheelset and lighter tires on for trail riding.

Thinking about a Pistola with 150mm fork or Smash with 150mm fork to steepen the HTA slightly and run either with a DPX2. I would think the Pistola would feel more snappy with the short chainstays and Smash a little plusher and stable for big hits. Either would probably be awesome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.