Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you could choose a bike specifically suited to enduro racing would the smash be at the top of your list? I'm currently on a 27.5 firebird and feel like I need big wheels in my life. Obviously there are lots of long travel 29ers out there now, but I really dig what GG is doing. The smash geo checks most of the boxes, but 145 mm of travel is 15 - 25 mm less than what many would consider for a no compromise race bike. I know you can do it, but is there a compromise to consider?

I would love to hear from anyone that rode other long travel wagon wheel bikes and could compare them to the smash. I couldn't find a lot of comparisons out there and many of the ride reports are from people coming off outdated bikes. Any new bike is going to feel awesome coming off a gen 1 nomad.

Thanks!

·
I like goin' fast
110 Posts
Let's just say that we consistently hear from customers about The Smash putting down faster times up and down compared to longer-legged bikes. Across the board, we've focused a lot more on the quality of travel than shooting for a magical long-travel number to slap on a new bike.

There's a reason every bike we make says "I like goin' fast" on the top tube.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let's just say that we consistently hear from customers about The Smash putting down faster times up and down compared to longer-legged bikes. Across the board, we've focused a lot more on the quality of travel than shooting for a magical long-travel number to slap on a new bike.

There's a reason every bike we make says "I like goin' fast" on the top tube.
Rad thank you for chiming in!

·
Robertson
1,032 Posts
I rode an Evil Wreckoning for 1 yr prior to my old Smash (aluminum with 140mm rear end); Wreckoning was 160/160 fox rc2/x2 and the smash was 160/145 with ribbon coil/push 11.6 (ran it briefly with a Rockshox superdeluxe also). The build (including wheels/tires) was transplanted from the Evil to the Smash. I felt the Smash to be the superior bike in everything but high speed through bigger chunk. Climbed better, did flatter sections better. Both carried speed about the same. I was more comfortable on the Smash in steeps but this was likely due to the size difference (around 15mm more reach, longer wheelbase). In high speed chunk the rear end wasn't as planted as the Evil, though after talking to Darren at Push it sounds like I may have been a little undersprung which could have helped with that. With the new Smash, with a bit more travel (I'd run it 170/145 for your scenario) and even longer-er/slacker-er geo, I bet it would rip.

Sorry, that was a bit long winded, but in summary I would have no qualms racing the Smash. If you're a one bike guy it is extremely versatile (especially with the ability to switch out rear ends to change models).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I rode an Evil Wreckoning for 1 yr prior to my old Smash (aluminum with 140mm rear end); Wreckoning was 160/160 fox rc2/x2 and the smash was 160/145 with ribbon coil/push 11.6 (ran it briefly with a Rockshox superdeluxe also). The build (including wheels/tires) was transplanted from the Evil to the Smash. I felt the Smash to be the superior bike in everything but high speed through bigger chunk. Climbed better, did flatter sections better. Both carried speed about the same. I was more comfortable on the Smash in steeps but this was likely due to the size difference (around 15mm more reach, longer wheelbase). In high speed chunk the rear end wasn't as planted as the Evil, though after talking to Darren at Push it sounds like I may have been a little undersprung which could have helped with that. With the new Smash, with a bit more travel (I'd run it 170/145 for your scenario) and even longer-er/slacker-er geo, I bet it would rip.

Sorry, that was a bit long winded, but in summary I would have no qualms racing the Smash. If you're a one bike guy it is extremely versatile (especially with the ability to switch out rear ends to change models).
Not long winded at all, this is exactly what I'm looking for. Your comparison is particularly relevant as an updated wreckoning is on my list. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

If I go smash I was planning on a push and 36 170.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Any particular reason that you are wanting wagon wheels? Why not look at the ShredDog or Megatrail as the enduro machine?

As a new Smash owner, I can echo what GG has said and that this thing absolutely rips. She (my bike Maddy) loves to be thrown around, slammed into corners and to just let her run without touching the brakes. Even with my build being a couple #s heavier than my last trail bike, I still am reaching PRs on both UP and downhill on my normal rides.

I have ridden her all over my local trails and will be riding Tahoe soon as they are all uncovered from the snow (hopefully a few more weeks). Next week I will be taking her to Colorado (Steamboat Springs) and Utah (Park City) to ride for a week and am stoked to see what she can do there!

·
Say Car Ramrod!!
1,823 Posts
Hell yea the Smash for enduro! I came off a N3 nomad and am on a coil sprung Trail Pistola now and have beaten every one of my PRs I had when riding the N3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
432 Posts
I believe it proved its radness at the TDS already Mason Bond

Joke aside, yeah, super fast bike. I've been racing enduro for years, and the revved frame is very well suited for racing. Yes, it doesn't have as much travel as others, but it performs well, and it won't drain you.

And if really you want more travel, for the gnarliest days, make it a megasmash, 29/27.5 mix, so you can run 170mmFR and 165 Rear!

·
battle stag commander
254 Posts
And if really you want more travel, for the gnarliest days, make it a megasmash, 29/27.5 mix, so you can run 170mmFR and 165 Rear!
GG makes this easy with the new frames. I am on a megatrail, but Im running the short stack headset cup with a 29 36. Running a 27.5 wheel up front the difference in axle to crown height is 6mm, so almost unnoticeable. If I throw a 29 wheel up there the wheel/tire ads ~20mm, so about a 25mm difference in stack height as compared to 27.5 wheel/fork.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input guys! I busted my arm this week and will be off the bike for the next 8 weeks. Seems like a good time to blow a bunch of $$$ on a new bike.

Any particular reason that you are wanting wagon wheels? Why not look at the ShredDog or Megatrail as the enduro machine?
It's been interesting riding behind friends that have gone 29 and watching them pull away over the rough stuff with no pedaling while I'm throwing in pedal strokes wherever I can. The bigger wheels just seem to carry more speed everywhere and don't hang up as much in the holes. With companies getting the geo figured out, most of the negatives that used to be associated with 29ers seem to be gone and they are just faster. My guess is we are going to see almost all gravity racers on big wheels in the next few years.

Dude, thanks for the comparison to your v3 nomad. It's great to hear you are getting it done on your TP! I'm sure you're getting to the top faster as well.

Xavier, yeah a MT ass end may be in the future if I go this route. This modular frame design concept is rad fore sure. I live 4 miles from northstar so I ride park about once per week and it would be fun to switch it over every once in a while. Soil Extreme sport Adventure Trail Motorcycle

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think I heard someone say if you aren't running more than 2.3s in the rear than you can up your shock length similar to how people do on the trail pistol. So you may be able to make it a 150-155 rear. Again not positive on that but I think it the case

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.