Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the queue for a Ride4 Smash (trying to be patient but struggling), and currently have the MRP Hazzard coil paired with a Ribbon air up front in my build. Though the all Colorado suspension seems like a good fit for my front range riding, I have not been able to find a lot of feedback on the Smash/Hazzard combo. It seems like the DHX2 gets a lot of love as a coil option on GG bikes and am wondering if my CO bias might keep me from getting the most out of the bike.

Does anyone have experience with either or both of these coils, particularly on a Smash?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Ill just throw in a shout out for MRP. They have impeccable service.

I've called them numerous times with questions/my own **** ups while servicing my fork.

And they replaced my whole CSU for free when it started creaking.

I have a ribbon coil fwiw. Have a friend on a hazzard that likes it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the perspective. All things equal, I will go with MRP without hesitation. I love where it's built, I love that Noah is on here backing up the product, and I know I'll have great customer support. I just want to make sure that there isn't a sizable performance gap that I'm missing. I noticed that in the initial revved release the demo bikes given to the journalists had the dhx2 coils on them, and I seem to remember speculation that it was GGs preferred shock. Not sure if I buy that, I'm just looking for some first hand experience to get some better perspective.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
I can’t comment on the Fox, but I’m digging the Hazzard on my Smash so far. Right out of Shreadquarters it felt great. It feels very well controlled on wide open runs and it seems to scramble right up techy climbs. After about 6 rides I switched to the TP mode with a CCDB CS and I miss the plushness of the Hazzard (or the extra 25mm).

If you’re down in the Springs ever, you’re welcome to check it out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great feedback from a front range Smash. What you are doing in regards to swapping out stays and suspension is exactly what I'm looking for in a long run rig. Are you seeing a big enough difference between the Smash and TP to warrant the effort to swap?

Thanks again for the vote of confidence for the Hazzard, I love the idea of a CO dominant sled. I won't derail the thread with your thoughts on revved 29er conversions, but I would really be interested in your long term review of the swap.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
So far, I definitely think it’s worth the effort. The TP is more playful and I notice it being lighter. It feels easier to carve corners with it The Smash feels a lot more stable at high speed and still corners well, although I feel like it needs to be thrown around more to get it over. I will eventually swap travel on the forks so I can see how much of this is the offset. Edit: The coil is 41mm and the air is 51mm since I didn’t make that clear...

Part of my goal is to be better with maintenance. I hope to be better about changing the fork oil and stuff if I can just swap it out for the other setup.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Did you mean 230 x 65 stroke...You would need to reduce the stroke to 60mm or below to keep the tire from rubbing the seat tube. I think, and maybe somebody else here knows exactly, but I think the travel is around 145 - 147mm with 60mm stroke.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Currently running a SD Coil on my Smash and love it. Ran it in Steamboat Springs, CO without issue and ate up the local terrain like it was nothing. Shock has incredible grip and has no problem scrambling up technical features, which I figured out this weekend when I cleared a couple of staircase climbs that have troubled me in the past.

For what its worth, Nurse_Ben is running a Marzocchi Bomber CR on his Shreddogg and says it is great. Short ride I had on it felt very supple, FOX product so no go for me.

·
Premium Member
10,561 Posts
Currently running a SD Coil on my Smash and love it. Ran it in Steamboat Springs, CO without issue and ate up the local terrain like it was nothing. Shock has incredible grip and has no problem scrambling up technical features, which I figured out this weekend when I cleared a couple of staircase climbs that have troubled me in the past.

For what its worth, Nurse_Ben is running a Marzocchi Bomber CR on his Shreddogg and says it is great. Short ride I had on it felt very supple, FOX product so no go for me.
According to Avalanche, the Bomber CR Coil (aka the Vanilla) is the most upgradable shock for the money and when modified is comparable with the best.

The CR is my fourth coil, the Shred is my third coil outfitted bike. I have ridden the Deluxe, CCIL, and CCDB. The Deluxe rode well, no complaints, the CCIL rode well and was very lightweight, the CCDB sucked munkee scrotum, the CR is as good or better than any of them as it comes stock.

For $300, can you even go wrong with a CR?

·
The Riddler
1,047 Posts
According to Avalanche, the Bomber CR Coil (aka the Vanilla) is the most upgradable shock for the money and when modified is comparable with the best.

The CR is my fourth coil, the Shred is my third coil outfitted bike. I have ridden the Deluxe, CCIL, and CCDB. The Deluxe rode well, no complaints, the CCIL rode well and was very lightweight, the CCDB sucked munkee scrotum, the CR is as good or better than any of them as it comes stock.

For $300, can you even go wrong with a CR?
second all of that. had my bomber cr tuned by Avalanche and it's amazing. likewise to my Bomber Z1 fork.

·
Premium Member
10,561 Posts
second all of that. had my bomber cr tuned by Avalanche and it's amazing. likewise to my Bomber Z1 fork.
Ya know, people are so bling oriented, always looking for the newest and hottest, but when it's all said and done, sometimes the tried and true is the best and least expensive option.

I have $850 invested in my CR Coil and Z1 fork, they work very well, but I'll still probably invest in an Avy uprgade for the CR this winter ($300) and I'm adding a Vorsprung Smashpot ($300) to the Z1, total cost for a top shelf custom coil suspension: $1450

I'd spend more for a Fox 36 Grip2 and a DPX2, and it wouldn't be half as good.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have $850 invested in my CR Coil and Z1 fork, they work very well, but I'll still probably invest in an Avy uprgade for the CR this winter ($300) and I'm adding a Vorsprung Smashpot ($300) to the Z1, total cost for a top shelf custom coil suspension: $1450

I'd spend more for a Fox 36 Grip2 and a DPX2, and it wouldn't be half as good.
My Shred Dogg currently has a Fox 36 RC2 and DPX2, but I am looking at maybe getting a coil shock for Megatrail mode and the Bomber CR definitely has my attention. Do you feel it does well out of the box, or is it something think needs the Avy treatment to be good? I am looking for something that will provide up to and including infinity traction on chunky and steep (and wet) descents, not too interested in super big hits. My DPX2 feels pretty good but I don't have anything to compare it to and I was thinking a coil might better take advantage of the additional travel of a Megatrail.

·
Premium Member
10,561 Posts
Out of the box it's as good as the other coils I've ridden and it rides plusher and gets better traction than the DPX2. I'll probably get the Avy treatment over the winter just to see if it makes a difference, but I like it enough now to just ride it.

On a related note, I just added a Vorsprung Smashpot to my Bomber Z1 fork ?

My Shred Dogg currently has a Fox 36 RC2 and DPX2, but I am looking at maybe getting a coil shock for Megatrail mode and the Bomber CR definitely has my attention. Do you feel it does well out of the box, or is it something think needs the Avy treatment to be good? I am looking for something that will provide up to and including infinity traction on chunky and steep (and wet) descents, not too interested in super big hits. My DPX2 feels pretty good but I don't have anything to compare it to and I was thinking a coil might better take advantage of the additional travel of a Megatrail.

·
Premium Member
10,561 Posts
Curious if you could expand on sucks monkey scrotum? I have one (ccdb air, not a monkey scrotum) and I'm curious why that shock was a fail for you.
If you did have a money scrotum, I wouldn't treat you differently, just saying ?

So when I got my aluminum Smash, the CCDB Coil was not an option, GG special ordered it for me, they suggested it was not a fav among staff, but I got it anyway cuz I like CC and the IL had worked well for me.

The CCDB Coil never felt good, I played with coils, all the settings, burn in the end I punted, sold it on PB for a hearty loss and got the GG recommended SD Coil. The SD Coil worked great out of the box, no issues.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Out of the box it's as good as the other coils I've ridden and it rides plusher and gets better traction than the DPX2. I'll probably get the Avy treatment over the winter just to see if it makes a difference, but I like it enough now to just ride it.

On a related note, I just added a Vorsprung Smashpot to my Bomber Z1 fork ?
Thanks Ben. I have a few friends that ride the push coil in their fork and like it. If you had choose between coil on fork or shock which would be your preference? My Fox 36 seems to be working well enough for me as-is so I will probably just stick with it for a while.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.