Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
fraid of heights
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I realize this is lazy, but I'm supposed to be working so I just thought I'd ask to see if anyone knows...

Smash NX build says 32.3lb. Smash XT/e13 mix says 33.3lb.

That just seems at odds with everything I read about NX being a "boat anchor". I'm sure the e13 cassette isn't a XC featherweight. BUT, hard to believe those weights...???

At any rate, more money for more weight kinda sucks... :)

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Eh... take the "official" weights with a grain of salt.

Measured with buddies Feedback Sports scale.
Size 3 Get Revved Smash
Ride 2 build standard
Upgraded:
- RS Super Deluxe Coil w/400lbs spring
- RS Lyrik RC w/ MRP Ramp Control at 160mm
- Sensus Meaty Paws grips
- OneUP Bash Guide
- Vittoria Goma 2.4 front (tubeless)
- Maxxis Ardent 2.35 rear (tubeless)
- SQ Labs 611 Ergowave saddle
- Zefal cage w/ REI tool keg with Pedro Levers, Co2 x2, Spare tube

All that comes in at 37.06 lbs.

·
Premium Member
10,570 Posts
Eh... take the "official" weights with a grain of salt.

Measured with buddies Feedback Sports scale.
Size 3 Get Revved Smash
Ride 2 build standard
Upgraded:
- RS Super Deluxe Coil w/400lbs spring
- RS Lyrik RC w/ MRP Ramp Control at 160mm
- Sensus Meaty Paws grips
- OneUP Bash Guide
- Vittoria Goma 2.4 front (tubeless)
- Maxxis Ardent 2.35 rear (tubeless)
- SQ Labs 611 Ergowave saddle
- Zefal cage w/ REI tool keg with Pedro Levers, Co2 x2, Spare tube

All that comes in at 37.06 lbs.
What a porker!

Did you have your foot on the scale??

·
fraid of heights
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just quick google scale images check, but looks like the NX cassette is ~200 grams heavier than an e-13 TRS cassette, NX cranks are ~100 grams heavier than TRS. The majority of the weight should be in those two parts? I can see th cheaper NX derailleur and shifter being lighter than the XT since it's probably built stronger? (more plastic in the NX, more metal in the XT?), but I wouldn't think a cheaper BB would be any lighter? Cables, chain; usually cheaper = heavier.

Anyway, XT/TRS cassette and cranks are more than half a pound "lighter" and they are the largest, most solid parts of a drivetrain. So "somewhere" else there is supposedly another 1.6lbs of weight strapped to that XT/TRS build to make it end up 1 lb heavier overall... hmmmm

37? Yikes for a carbon ride. How much slime in in your tires/spare tube? Was your water bottle on there all filled up? My old ReignX probably weighed that much though.

Probably my current Steel Honzo is closer to that than I'd like to know... (sometimes ignorance is BLISS!) :)

For sure getting too caught up with weight is a waste of time. Just doesn't seem to make sense, at least not yet?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,570 Posts
My Shred Dogg weighs #36, no carbon other than the frame, plus wheels runing 27.5 x 2.8 DHF/HHR, Bomber CR Coil, 29 x 160mm Bomber Z1 with Vorsprung Smashpot Coil, OneUp 210mm Dropper, e13/GX drivetrain. It’s within a few ounces if I run 29” wheels.

It’s about as heavy as I can make it 🙄

If I went with a DPX2/Fox 36 and a lighter wheel/tire combo, I could easily hit 32#.

It’s funny to me that people think about weight so much when comparing bikes since bike parts are uniform across all bikes, ie a Fox 36 weighs the same on an Ibis as it does on a Trek.

Unless a person wants to spend big dollars on carbon wheels, cranks, and cockpit, the easiest way to drop weight is to run lighter tires. Obviously there are other things that can be forgone in order to lose weight like skip the dropper post, run a lightweight fork, etc ...

·
Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
3,130 Posts
I can guarantee if you attached a coil shock and big fork to any 145-150mm frame on the market you'll see mid-30s.

I think the lightest 150mm+ 29er frame is the Scott Genius, maybe followed slightly by the Ibis Ripmo. These are both around 5-6lbs with shock. In the case of the Genius, it runs a pretty lightweight non-reservoir short stroke Fox DPS, so that helps shed weight. The Genius, Ransom, Ripmo may be the only bikes that could rock a coil shock and still not exceed 30lbs, but I doubt it.

My Trail Pistol with RS Deluxe, axle, and headset weighed in at 7.08lbs. That's not bad considering its the same overbuilt front triangle that can handle a 170mm fork on the Smash or MegaTrail.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.