Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just got into mtn biking a few months ago, and am a bit annoyed with the frame on my bike. Not only is it a size too large for me, but it's heavy as ^#%!& as well. It's also made of hi-ten steel, which I've heard is bad, though I wouldn't really be able to tell you the difference between this and another frame other than it's heavy. (this is an old giant acapulco btw). But anyways I was browsing around ebay a few weeks ago and found an 18.5 aluminum frame with a low bid price, so I bid on it and actually won the thing for $15 (30 ship, $45 total). But basically I'm wondering now if I did something really dumb and got a junk frame or something really smart and got a good frame for a good price. I don't really know much about it except what's written up on the seller's site <a href="http://corporate.auctionworks.com/storefrontprofiles/deluxeSFshop.aspx?sid=200407262253410000000012909100&sfid=100961&c=40000717">7005 Aluminum Mountain Bike Frame 18.5 New</a>.

Can anyone tell me if this is just a generic thing that's gonna break after hitting the first big bump or would it be more likely they made too many and I got a great, just unbranded frame? If you need to know anything about it just ask, it arrived last week. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
96 Posts
To tell you the truth i dont know anything about these frames and im a noob too. But from what i can see in the photo the welds dont look that good or maybe its the way it looks. Also i dont think the stuff that guy says is true but thats just me. Even if the frame is **** you can still trash it and have tons of fun doing so and all you had to pay is $45. So dont be sad even if it sucks. ;)

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
$15 for a frame. It isn't rocket science. Glad you did some real homework before you bought it. ;-P

Look... good frames that'll take specific abuse and are light are going to cost you. It's that simple. It costs money to produce good quality frames. Like in hundreds(even thousands sometimes) of dollars. You bought a $15 frame. Don't be surprised if you got what you paid for. Most times when you're either too cheap or don't have the cash you get cheap. If you can't afford more then save.

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
Might cost you...
Usually you will need a new front derailuer, seatpost, Bottom bracket. Some cases, a new fork, stem......
Might not be worth the money if you ask me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
actually it sounds like he bought a dept store bike to begin with, so any frame is probably better than that. Also they were selling the frames for 180 bucks. I think my P2 frame they sell for around 300 something and thats a 770 dollar bike. so the frame might not be a hunk of junk for what he's going to use it for. that specific type of AL is also fairly strong and is used on many different high end bikes. That AL has simiular structural properties such as its yeild strength and tensile strength as most steel bikes. Basically it is very nearly the strength of a steel bike but much lighter and stiffer (stiffness is a prefrence thing you can go either way on that one). the craftsmanship of the welds and frame all together might not be as high as something from a big named bike company but its going to be better than what you have (from the sound of things). You wont' break it if you are doing XC riding. I'll bet my bottom dollar you won't.

As far as the compatablity of your old bike components fitting on your new frame, you could run into problems. You'll prolly be able to use alot of your stuff on the new frame but most likely not all pjarts. You might run into money issues with converting to a new frame since componets are expensive. However I've converted stuff over to newer frames and haven't had too many problems at all, most bike companies follow the industries standards because they'd be dumb if they didn't. It might take some creative engineering to convert parts over if you don't want to spend anymore money. If you ask me its worth the 45 bucks since its probably a much better frame then what you got and its a project. Projects like that kick ass (thats why i'm a mechanical engineer).

fred? said:
$15 for a frame. It isn't rocket science. Glad you did some real homework before you bought it. ;-P

Look... good frames that'll take specific abuse and are light are going to cost you. It's that simple. It costs money to produce good quality frames. Like in hundreds(even thousands sometimes) of dollars. You bought a $15 frame. Don't be surprised if you got what you paid for. Most times when you're either too cheap or don't have the cash you get cheap. If you can't afford more then save.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Look on the bright side, you might be able to sell the bike back on eBay ;)
For next time, do some more research BEFORE you buy, and remember that you generally get what you pay for.

·
I railed it like Kong
637 Posts
You did not mention what your riding now except its a steel frame. When i bought my first bike it was a trek w/ 7500 aluminum and my bike was heavier than my buddy's high quality steel frame ride. when you start out- the components you put on your bike will effect your heavy feel more than the frame. Specifically the drivetrain and wheelset. Unless your doing some serious drops and hucks or your a big rider, a high quality frame is not as important. Eventually you get to the point where you become a more confident rider and try crazier things and those will eventually break your frame and cheap components. i don't think you made a bad purchase, but save and put good components on it.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
You're as stupid as me...

You have a bike that doesn't fit you, so you bought a frame over the internet that you obviously have never tested to see if it fits you? Fortunately you're only out 50 bucks, plus all the time it will take you to put the thing together and whatever parts you might need to buy if your old parts aren't compatible. But you might luck out and have a decent bike when you're all done.

I kind of did the same thing...had a bike too small, found a killer deal on a full suspension rig, but they only had the large frame in stock...and it was a little large for me. Bought it anyway, and after a couple months of back pain and trading out stems and seatposts I got it close enough.

Next time I'll bite the bullet and get a frame that fits, if I can repress my inner cheap bastard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts