Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Bikecurious
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed that the chainrings and cassette on my friend's Spec Epic Expert (as well as many other bikes I've seen) are considerably smaller than the ones on my Jamis Dakar Sport. Obviously he has a different component set (and a bike that cost about 3 times as much as mine), but I was wondering what the reason for the size differences is? I realize that having smaller chainrings or a larger cassette would set you up to have some easier gears, but are there configurations that are relatively standard, or better for certain riding situations? I imagine his set-up is more directed towards XC racing, while mine is more an entry-level XC riding deal. Thoughts? Thanks.

·
EDR
10,572 Posts
11-32T or 11-34T cassette is standard for most 9sp mtb's, not counting entry level or walmart type bikes. Those bikes usually geared more for pavement riding (smaller cassette and/or bigger rings so they buyer doesn't 'out-pedal' the bike on the road)

All three of my bikes came with 22-32-44T chainrings.

Maybe your buddy has his set up the way he likes it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.