Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recall some smaller ladies on here being on 29ers... curious as to who it was, how tall you are, and how the bike is handling/ working out.

finally starting the process of getting my girlfriend on something nice and I'd love to get her on a 29er. she's about 5'5"-ish, mostly torso. we deal with Soulcraft and Willits, so they're my top 2 choices.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
5'5" is rather tall for a lady on 29"er. Most pics I've seen on here of ladies on 29"ers, were of ladies shorter than that.
Why spend so much money for a first 29"er? My whole quiver of 29"ers is cheaper than one fo those, and I love all of my bikes.
Need to burn that much money, or will production just not do for ergomical/style points reason?
I say : get a good S sized production bike to play with first, see if it's appreciated. If not, custom won't either. See if a custom builder can come up with a bike that much better than, say, an S Fisher.

No need to go custom with someone as tall as 5'5".

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my perception of height in women has always been skewed.

i've had my eyes opened to the wonderful world of custom frames from Willits. if the option for custom is available, why not? she's been on an ill-fitting Iron Horse. she tips the scales at 100lbs, so I figure a builder could get a nice, light frame going for her.

none of the production 29ers really do it for her. kind of digs the Stumpy 29er HT, but likes the cleaner lines of steel frames.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Light is all about parts. Get a Fisher alu, it's way light :) Next step? Fisher SuperFly :)
Imagine how pink a SuperFly could be if you had it C U S T O M painted... It's got the surface area for it.

If you're in it for the paint job, you're lost for my cause.

Do get serious test rides in to make it less of a guessing game for the builder of your choice.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Couple more notes post PM, I rode a CDale 29r at a demo outing last year. Good fit but found the BB low compared to my custom steel hard tail.
The Willits TK small is really close to the 22.2" I'll have on the new frame.

good luck!

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
the Inbred said:
i recall some smaller ladies on here being on 29ers... curious as to who it was, how tall you are, and how the bike is handling/ working out.

finally starting the process of getting my girlfriend on something nice and I'd love to get her on a 29er. she's about 5'5"-ish, mostly torso. we deal with Soulcraft and Willits, so they're my top 2 choices.
My wife is 5'3" and has been through two 29"ers to date. Her first was a Willits New Sheriff pictured in these links:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=60541

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=571515#poststop

Her second was a Gary Fisher size small Sugar 292 pictured here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=88940

Both bikes have been sold as she was having some back issues and switched to riding recumbents only. However, things have improved with her back and she started riding an upright again this past season, but no off road riding yet. That might happen this year if everything goes alright with her back.

Regardless, at 5'3" if she was able to ride a 29"er, I would hope your girlfriend would not face an issue at 5'5". Just keep the handlebars narrower, the grips thinner, the saddle woman sit bone specific and the crank arms shorter so the fit is dialed in for their physical realities.

BB

·
Stokeless Asshat
3,360 Posts
5`4"

I put my best friend on a xs Flyte celsius 9 and she digs it. From the first pedal stroke it was love. She is mostly torso and has had no problems with stand over, wheel loft, acceleration, handleing ect. It was a great choice and a better deal.
Jeff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.