Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I replace my front Nobby Nic tire for a Nevegal Stick-e because, quite frankly, I wasn't impressed with the NN as a front tire. I really liked the difference. I think it tracks pretty good (even considering that the Nev has about 2 years life, well, I haven't ridden some months, but still), and rolls well.

Also, I changed settings on the Lyric, I went from the RS suggested starting point of 4-4-1 (4 clicks low, 4 clicks high, 1 turn floodgate) to 4-1-1, and for what I did I liked how the bike felt. I think I will try something else for the next time. I didn't do a hard technical ride last time, mostly was a fast fireroad downhill and a nice singletrack.

I think I left the RP23 on the ProPedal on the whole time, I think I'm still not used to which setting is propedal on, and which is off (well, I've been to the Fox site and I hope I remember that turning the blue thinguie clockways locks it, ccw opens it up), but the bike felt pretty stable.

I really like the Geometry on the bike. Sizewise, I think that the bike feels between the Moto Lite (medium) and my previous Stumpjumper (XL). The bike is pretty stable and easy to move around. I'm finding that the bike tends to flatten things that before looked knarly.... well, at least downhill. I got pretty much winded up climbing to La Virgen, but mostly has been because december the Lupe Reyes marathon has been intense, and I haven't been able to ride too much. Actually, saturday was my only ride of the month.. :madmax: So, I can't comment on the Endo climbing ability, because for now, it's machine quite sucks.... But I feel I am going faster and bolder downhill, so thats pretty good :D

I still break my head figuring out how to shift.... but that's fixed with practice. The darn bike shifts pretty sure whenever I decide to shift. And no ghosts yet. I'm also finding that probably braking with the index finger might be a good idea (I brake with the middle finger), but I will probably have to move the levers a little bit.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Seems that nobody is giving you any love in this thread Robbo !

PP on the RP23 is easy to remember... flick the lever to the drive side for PP and flick it to the other side for off :) What pressure you using now?

I never use PP except on the commutes to the trails (or the occasional long smooth climb) where I use setting 3 to sorta lock it out. Interested to hear if anybody actually uses PP on the trails and what setting?

I have been using 2.35 Nevegal Stick-E front and DTC rear. Really dig it for most conditions. Boy do they hate sticky mud though!

Yeah for cruising, I'd turn the high speed right down on the fork. I'd back off the low speed a bit more too for comfort. The floodgate setting affects everything but I forgot how... I just left it open.

Shifting with X9 is great.... all thumbs! I also like how you can put the brake lever on the inside of the shifter. If you haven't tried this 1 finger caper give it a go. I converted a few local XC riders and they really hated it the first ride, but they took to it after about 5 rides, and all prefer the 1 finger as it gives for more control in steep terrain. So if you try it give it some time to get used to it.

Yup, the Endorphin has a roomy cockpit. I'm putting a 50mm RF Atlas stem (and Atlas bars) on my Endorphin. I currently use a Thomson 70x0 stem, so the 50x8 will pull the bars in and keep the same height. My Syncros Bulk bars are badly scared and don't trust them anymore.

Cheers :)

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All Mountain said:

PP on the RP23 is easy to remember... flick the lever to the drive side for PP and flick it to the other side for off :) What pressure you using now?

I never use PP except on the commutes to the trails (or the occasional long smooth climb) where I use setting 3 to sorta lock it out. Interested to hear if anybody actually uses PP on the trails and what setting?

I have been using 2.35 Nevegal Stick-E front and DTC rear. Really dig it for most conditions. Boy do they hate sticky mud though!

Yeah for cruising, I'd turn the high speed right down on the fork. I'd back off the low speed a bit more too for comfort. The floodgate setting affects everything but I forgot how... I just left it open.

Shifting with X9 is great.... all thumbs! I also like how you can put the brake lever on the inside of the shifter. If you haven't tried this 1 finger caper give it a go. I converted a few local XC riders and they really hated it the first ride, but they took to it after about 5 rides, and all prefer the 1 finger as it gives for more control in steep terrain. So if you try it give it some time to get used to it.

Yup, the Endorphin has a roomy cockpit. I'm putting a 50mm RF Atlas stem (and Atlas bars) on my Endorphin. I currently use a Thomson 70x0 stem, so the 50x8 will pull the bars in and keep the same height. My Syncros Bulk bars are badly scared and don't trust them anymore.

I don't remember how much pressure I have on the RP23, I think it is somewhere around 200 psi, I set it for sag and it works right now. I think I have been riding the endo with the PP on and didn't noticed it. It still sucks most bumps and feel real nice on trails, next time I'll turn it off and see how it goes.

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
All Mountain said:

Coming from the MotoLite the Endorphin felt somewhat sluggish (like a wet sponge) so I preferred keeping the propedal on (number one setting). As I grew more accoustomed to the sweetness, I started riding with it off all the time.

Then I stared riding with a new group who kept a faster pace (on heavier bikes :mad: ). Out of desperation to keep up I started using the propedal again (setting one). After not using it for a long time I really felt a significant difference. The bike rode a bit higher causing the geometry to steepen. Obviously pedal bob decreased. Generally I keep it off, but I use it whenever I know it's going to be a smooth grind where efficiency is of greater priority than traction.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Finally, someone else that wasn't impressed with the Schwalbe! I tried the infamous big betty/fat albert combo and also tried a nobby nick and wasn't the least bit impressed. I like my Maxxis Advantage 2.4's a lot more (and they're less than half the price). Might be my terrain or riding style but the schwalbe's just didn't live up to the hype for me.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I'm loving the Advantage 2.4's on the DT.

Have tried, 2.5 Nevegal front, Big Betty Rear, 2.5 WTB Dissent on the rear, and 2.7/2.5 Maxxis minions (DH Casing).

For everyday riding the Advantage is my favorite and Minions for DH days.

·
Registered
513 Posts
string said:
I'm loving the Advantage 2.4's on the DT.

Have tried, 2.5 Nevegal front, Big Betty Rear, 2.5 WTB Dissent on the rear, and 2.7/2.5 Maxxis minions (DH Casing).

For everyday riding the Advantage is my favorite and Minions for DH days.
I agree. I LOVE my Advantage on the rear for all mt. High vol and super great traction is superb around my neck of the woods! I run a 2.5 Kenda Blue Groove on the front and love that also for the front. I just put the Blue Groove on and the 2.4 Adv still dawrfs the brand new 2.5 BG.:thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.