Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys out there with a small 5 Spot care to give me a quick measurement?

The top tube length looks spot on, but I'm concerned about the standover. From the test riding I've been doing, I notice that the five inch travel bikes have very high top tubes. Turner's geometry chart says the small Spots have a 30" standover. I'm just wondering if you small 5 Spot owners find that to be accurate? I have no reason to believe that Turner's geometry chart is off, but I did notice during my test rides that some manufacturers' charts are a bit off.

TIA

· mad aussie
1,128 Posts
30 inches is "spot" on

I just measured my small, and to the top of the top tube in the center of the frame is exactly 30 inches. I have a short inseam and have no problem with standover. The small spot is about as compact as you can make a 5 inch frame and still have room for the shock mounted parallel to the seat tube. That is part of what I like about the spot.

KR

· Registered
37 Posts
standover is why I went with the small. I added a slightly longer stem, kept the shock/steer tube about 1" taller then the headset and got a 400mm seat post and it is sized just right. I'm 5'6" with a 29" inseam. The medium just felt one octive too big for me. I'd rather have that extra inch in standover.

I looked at a few other 5" bikes (Titus, Ellsworth) but they felt big to me even in a small, I was feeling the frame while standing over.

IMO, on the trail, the Turner 5-Spot rides large.

YMMV
John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.