Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
. . .to keep what some people refer to as "ugly parts" from getting uglier. . .

Generally, the front triangle (head tube, down tube, top tube) on a size small is sized in way that won't affect "stand-over" too much. Proportionately, a larger front triangle will affect the "stand-over" thus prompting the manufacturer to "kink" the top tube. . . plus, if you look at the eye-to-eye length of a shock (say 6.5") that fits nicely on a "small", it may not bolt up similarly on a "large" frame without moving the location of a mount. By manipulating the top-tube, the shock now bolts up without major changes in geometry and, consequently, overall performance (between a "small" and "large").

·
Registered
549 Posts
. . .yeah, in this case I'd have to say it's more to keep the "ugly parts from getting uglier. . ." A lot of trials-bikes have kinked top-tubes too.

Nice shot Dogonfr. . . track looks like fun. . . wait a minute, you sure that TT's bent? Could be the tube's straight and just looks crooked; I mean, look at that fence. . . you sure that wasn't taken with a "fish-eye" lens? :D It's got "wall-ride" written all over it!

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
emptybe_er said:
. . .yeah, in this case I'd have to say it's more to keep the "ugly parts from getting uglier. . ." A lot of trials-bikes have kinked top-tubes too.

Nice shot Dogonfr. . . track looks like fun. . . wait a minute, you sure that TT's bent? Could be the tube's straight and just looks crooked; I mean, look at that fence. . . you sure that wasn't taken with a "fish-eye" lens? :D It's got "wall-ride" written all over it!
:lol::lol: Funny I was thinking about supporting that section to handle a WallRide. :cornut::rockon:

Attachments

·
EDR
10,599 Posts
My black 575 is small, the turq is a med. Both with bent top tubes. The TT design varies a bit between the two as the black is an '08 model. The stand-over height on the 575's is the same on the small, med, large and x-large frames.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
eatdrinkride said:
My black 575 is small, the turq is a med. Both with bent top tubes. The TT design varies a bit between the two as the black is an '08 model. The stand-over height on the 575's is the same on the small, med, large and x-large frames.
Doesn't Yeti realize the Nomad is too ugly to copy?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.