Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Merry Christmas to the homers :)

I'm looking for advice on a fork for the Pack, now I've got a ZAM1 fitted but all this talk of the 66SL has given me severe UGI :D
One of my doubts is clearance between the down tube and the 66's new lower crown on a small Pack, anybody fitted one on a small yet? How's the clearance? I know the 36 is pretty tight on the rebound dial on a small, it will catch the gusset depending on the setting. The 66SL sounds ideal but until I can find out if it will fit I can't commit fully.

So is there a 'better' fork for a trail Pack with a DHX-A?
The Pike air seems a tad on the short side from some comments? I like the quite slack ride of the Z1 set at 150mm travel.
The Vanilla 36 is a possibility but I can get the 66SL for a chunk less money than the Fox.

One more thing, do the 5" rockers from a Spot fit the Pack or are the RFX rockers the ones to go for? How do they alter the geometry? If I can find any that is :)

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
5" rockers

Paul5s said:
Hi all,

One more thing, do the 5" rockers from a Spot fit the Pack or are the RFX rockers the ones to go for? How do they alter the geometry? If I can find any that is :)
Paul,
The 5" rockers do fit the Pack. I have tried the 5" Spot rockers and the 5" RFX rockers. Both have similar results. It shortens the travel, but does very little to geometry. The BB height is about .2 inches lower max (14.3in with 6Pack rockers to 14.2 in with 5 spot and 5" rfx rockers). If you put a shorter fork on the front it will have more effect on the BB height. I love the ride of the 6pack so much, I am just keeping it that way for now. It climbs just as well and is a lot better coming down.

the 5"rockers do not have the same effect as the 5" rockers on the RFX. My old RFX had close to a 15 in BB with the 6" rockers with Sherman slider. Then with the 5"rfx rockers, the BB was at about 13.5 with a 2002 Z1 FR. I really liked this 5 in setup. SHAHEEB now has my old 5" RFX rockers for his ride.

Anyone else tried 5" rockers on your pack? It surprised my that the 5" rockers did not have more of an effect on the pack's geometry. It would be great if Turner Bikes decided to make 5" rockers for the PACK that lowered the BB to around 13.5 and kept the HA at 68*. That would be a sick ride. Then have the 6" set up for the bigger days.

I am also looking at the 66sl. Seems like the best fork for my application. I would just like to hear a little more positive feedback....JC?.....SSinG?....Robot chicken?

By the way I have a set of "B" type 6" RFX rockers if anyone is interested.

Paul, Let us know how it goes.

·
mr. wonderful
879 Posts
large pack with 66sl

i just built a large pack with a 66sl up front. i finished it thursday night so i only have 2 rides on it; by far not enough to give it a fair evaluation, but enough to know a few things.

1) i would absolutely verify that it will clear your down tube; on my large it doesn't clear by more than 5mm.

2) the geometry feels really balanced with the travel set at 6-6.25. most of my riding is on the technical side of things (national trail and environs in phoenix, fwiw) and i will probably leave it there most of the time. for really hairball descents and extended fast dh i will knock it up to 170. i haven't ridden it at 170 yet, so i can't say how it rides, both up and down, at that height. but judging solely how it performs at 6", i would venture to say that, for my type of riding, i don't think it would be bad. this brings me to my next point.

3) i bought the sl because it is the only adj. travel 66. if the 66 light was equivalent to the z1 light, i would have bought it. in our neck of the desert, eta is not very useful because you need a fully active suspension for technical climbing. the sl is a little sticky right out of the box whereas my am1 was like sex from the get go. i have noticed it starting to loosen up a bit with the little time i have into it, but if it doesen't get to thaat zocchi butta feel that i love i will be disappointed. i think it will just take time. if it rides well enough at 170, the 66 light, or even the rc2x, might be an option.

4) i haven't been able to get full travel out of it; more like about 3/4" less than where it is set. i have taken the par chamber down to 2-1/2 psi and still the same result. i will contact marzocchi about oil levels.

i will post more as it breaks in and i know more about its performance.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
dirtbag said:
i just built a large pack with a 66sl up front. i finished it thursday night so i only have 2 rides on it; by far not enough to give it a fair evaluation, but enough to know a few things.

1) i would absolutely verify that it will clear your down tube; on my large it doesn't clear by more than 5mm.

2) the geometry feels really balanced with the travel set at 6-6.25. most of my riding is on the technical side of things (national trail and environs in phoenix, fwiw) and i will probably leave it there most of the time. for really hairball descents and extended fast dh i will knock it up to 170. i haven't ridden it at 170 yet, so i can't say how it rides, both up and down, at that height. but judging solely how it performs at 6", i would venture to say that, for my type of riding, i don't think it would be bad. this brings me to my next point.

3) i bought the sl because it is the only adj. travel 66. if the 66 light was equivalent to the z1 light, i would have bought it. in our neck of the desert, eta is not very useful because you need a fully active suspension for technical climbing. the sl is a little sticky right out of the box whereas my am1 was like sex from the get go. i have noticed it starting to loosen up a bit with the little time i have into it, but if it doesen't get to thaat zocchi butta feel that i love i will be disappointed. i think it will just take time. if it rides well enough at 170, the 66 light, or even the rc2x, might be an option.

4) i haven't been able to get full travel out of it; more like about 3/4" less than where it is set. i have taken the par chamber down to 2-1/2 psi and still the same result. i will contact marzocchi about oil levels.

i will post more as it breaks in and i know more about its performance.
...the 66 will definitely get very smooth. I have less than a dozen rides on mine & it is night & day from when it was new. PLus, the first time you compress you are breaking the stiction...as you are riding, it is buttah.

RE: travel, with your positive chambers & Par empty, you should be able to audibly bottom the stanchions on the lowers...mine can. I would run the oil levels as low as possible & maintain performance...utilizing the PAR to control bottomout.

·
mr. wonderful
879 Posts
jncarpenter said:
...the 66 will definitely get very smooth. I have less than a dozen rides on mine & it is night & day from when it was new. PLus, the first time you compress you are breaking the stiction...as you are riding, it is buttah.

RE: travel, with your positive chambers & Par empty, you should be able to audibly bottom the stanchions on the lowers...mine can. I would run the oil levels as low as possible & maintain performance...utilizing the PAR to control bottomout.
it's significantly smoother than right out of the box, that's for sure. i am assuming it will feel wonderful with a few more hours.

2 questions-
how much oil are you running in each leg?

are you running each positive chamber at the same pressure (like an rc2x) or are you using the left as the air spring and the right as the pre-load (as the manual suggests)?

thanks!

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
dirtbag said:
it's significantly smoother than right out of the box, that's for sure. i am assuming it will feel wonderful with a few more hours.

2 questions-
how much oil are you running in each leg?

are you running each positive chamber at the same pressure (like an rc2x) or are you using the left as the air spring and the right as the pre-load (as the manual suggests)?

thanks!
...first off, I haven't broken her down yet so I am unsure of the specific oil levels. I will soon tho & will document the process (I need alighter weight oil for the winter). I am also not sure where you are getting the right leg preload idea as the manual DOES NOT suggest such. The right leg is essentially the same as the Light version & even there it is used as an air spring. The right leg is DEFINITELY an air spring & should be utilized as such. I am currently running about 30 PSI in eash positive, 150 PSI in negative & 0 PSI in PAR (until broken in). This config. runs close to 5.5" of travel for me.

Jay

·
Registered
157 Posts
66SL Review

G-AIR said:
I am also looking at the 66sl. Seems like the best fork for my application. I would just like to hear a little more positive feedback....JC?.....SSinG?....Robot chicken?
G-Air:

Another interesting 66SL review at http://www.spudhucksters.com/66slreview.html. Because of the weight and adjustable travel, I've decided to put one on my Transition Preston. :D

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Paul5s said:
Hi all,

I'm looking for advice on a fork for the Pack, now I've got a ZAM1 fitted but all this talk of the 66SL has given me severe UGI :D
One of my doubts is clearance between the down tube and the 66's new lower crown on a small Pack, anybody fitted one on a small yet? How's the clearance? I know the 36 is pretty tight on the rebound dial on a small, it will catch the gusset depending on the setting. The 66SL sounds ideal but until I can find out if it will fit I can't commit fully.

So is there a 'better' fork for a trail Pack with a DHX-A?
The Pike air seems a tad on the short side from some comments? I like the quite slack ride of the Z1 set at 150mm travel.
The Vanilla 36 is a possibility but I can get the 66SL for a chunk less money than the Fox.

Sorry if I started you down this UGI path Paul!! My 66SL is on order so I should know soon if it fits on the small Pack. Did you get the cranks?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi SSINGA, no worries on the UGI it's a constant battle to control it...

'Hi my names Paul and I'm an upgradaholic...' ;)

I went with the Stylo GXP carbons, pics to follow once I sort them out, they seem to fit very well with a better chainline than the RF X types.

When do you expect to get your 66? I can get a good discount on one until 3 Jan when the sale finishes otherwise it's another £40, ~$70...

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
if it's on sale for a good price then get it. I don't expect to see the fork for a week or so. Should you have clearance issues then you could always get one of the tall CK lower crowns that Ventana makes.

edit - it appears that the 66SL is shipping today - so maybe I'll know shortly after the new year. Let me know if you find out anything prior.

·
~~~~~~~~
5,930 Posts
G-AIR said:
It would be great if Turner Bikes decided to make 5" rockers for the PACK that lowered the BB to around 13.5 and kept the HA at 68*.
With the correct fork a2c (your 02 Z1), the 5" rockers on the pack should be able to acheive those numbers.

The new 5.5 Push setup would work nicely on the Pack/RFX's as well.

The 36 (vanilla?) issue with the downtube is the first I've heard of it, I think it was drumstix that ran the small pack with van 36 combo. I'll be running that combo soon, I hope.

All this talk of the various air pressures, oil levels, etc. with the 66sl make me appreciate the fact that my van36 has only required turning the high and low comp knobs. The 66sl sounds great, but I think I would always be wondering if I had got it set right. As much as I would like to find the time to tweak and tune, reality for me is that I would probably halfass it.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
airwreck said:
All this talk of the various air pressures, oil levels, etc. with the 66sl make me appreciate the fact that my van36 has only required turning the high and low comp knobs. The 66sl sounds great, but I think I would always be wondering if I had got it set right. As much as I would like to find the time to tweak and tune, reality for me is that I would probably halfass it.
I didn't think the 5" rockers were compatible with the Pack rear stays...I was under the impression you needed the Spot stays to run the 5" rockers on the Pack??????????

As far as the 66 SL tuning goes....it really is NO mystery at all. There isn't too much to it. Set your positive air chambers based on your weight/ sag preference. The negative air basically determines topout height (travel setting) & PAR is an optional bottomout control that functions similar to oil height variance. Very straight forward & simple IMHO.....works as advertised too FWIW. I still think a coil fork will always offer a slightly more refined feeling damper...but considering how good the 66SL does feel & it's beefiness @ almost no weight penalty (plus travel adjustability)....it is very nice.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SSINGA said:
if it's on sale for a good price then get it. I don't expect to see the fork for a week or so. Should you have clearance issues then you could always get one of the tall CK lower crowns that Ventana makes.

edit - it appears that the 66SL is shipping today - so maybe I'll know shortly after the new year. Let me know if you find out anything prior.
Look's like I'll have some fitting details real soon...

I'll be sitting around waiting for the 'van man' tomorrow :D

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Paul5s said:
Look's like I'll have some fitting details real soon...

I'll be sitting around waiting for the 'van man' tomorrow :D
Great!! I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Once you get it check out the alignment of the lowers also. Slide the axle in on one side and see if it will go into the other with out having to tweak the legs. A friends was almost 7mm out of alignment on his 66 Light.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SSINGA said:
Great!! I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Once you get it check out the alignment of the lowers also. Slide the axle in on one side and see if it will go into the other with out having to tweak the legs. A friends was almost 7mm out of alignment on his 66 Light.
I'll be sure to check that out!

I will post details and pics once I have them :)

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Paul5s said:
I'll be sure to check that out!

I will post details and pics once I have them :)
Well?? did they show up yet?

also - mounted my 5" RFX rockers to the Pack and everything looks ok. Will test when the fork arrives. Pic is of the 5spot rear with the 5" RFX rockers - it rode very well like this!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SSINGA said:
Well?? did they show up yet?
No not today, I spoke to the supplier and it seems the pair they had were faulty, oil all over the inside of the bag when they checked them. The best they can do is early in the New Year as the importer is closed until then :(

So I've located another one which will arrive tomorrow morning details to follow, with luck :D

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Paul5s said:
No not today, I spoke to the supplier and it seems the pair they had were faulty, oil all over the inside of the bag when they checked them. The best they can do is early in the New Year as the importer is closed until then :(

So I've located another one which will arrive tomorrow morning details to follow, with luck :D
Mine should arrive tomorrow too!

Oil???? not that it really matters now but it could have just been a simple as a loose foot nut or folded seal.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SSINGA said:
Mine should arrive tomorrow too!

Oil???? not that it really matters now but it could have just been a simple as a loose foot nut or folded seal.
Could have been an excuse if they'd run out of stock too ;)

See who can get one fitted first on a baby Pack and pics posted :D

1 - 20 of 60 Posts