Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any small or single finger brake levers for Hayes HFX9 brakes? I have smaller hands so I dont want a far reach lever, and I like to have only 1 finger on the lever when riding street. Curently, When I squeeze hard with one finger on my brake lever, it pinches my other fingers. When I adjusted my lever movement so it has less movement, it no longer pinches my fingers, but its too far to reach to get enough power. So Thats why I'm looking for a more compact lever for hydralic hfx9s. I've looked at Hayes Short Reach levers but dont know if their right for what I want. So any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Pro Crastinator
11,952 Posts
i have a set of those hayes levers you are talking about. i also have small hands and do one finger braking and have the lever setup so it doesn't smash my other fingers. i also always ride with no fingers on the brakes, so when i need to get on them fast, i need levers that are close. these seem to fit the bill nicely and give a tons better feel to the brakes themselves because they aren't all flexy like the stock levers....

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
sittingduck said:
do you have room on your bars to move the levers in a couple inches? That works for me...
Yeah, plus that way it won't reduce your leverage. Nothing like when your hands are so fatiuged that you have to decide between being able to hang onto the bars and being able to use the brakes. Yes, I've been there.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sittingduck said:
do you have room on your bars to move the levers in a couple inches? That works for me...
Nope, got my bars cut to 24" and the levers are as far as they can go, they dont sit level if i go farther in. Hey WCH, do you have a pic of the levers on the bike that you could post. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
bonz sells brake levers that are single finger and fat. I have both their single and double finger versions, And the single finger version are the best. They don't sell the single finger version specifically for the HFX-9, but you can buy the ones for the Mags and drill out the pin hole a tiny bit and they work just the same. That is what i did, and for the price, you can't go wrong. Plus, these levers will not bend or break..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.