Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my new 2007 small Nomad with the X9 kit. The X9 kit from Santa Cruz includes the Fox Float32 forks. When I brought the bike home, I noticed that the top of the fork is hitting on the frame when the bars are turned. I searched on the forums and found that this is common problem with the small Nomads and the solution was to use a spacer. Why would Santa Cruz spec their X9 kit with these forks and not provide the correct spacer or thicker lower cup??? I am dropping it off at the shop tomorrow, but they said if it does require a different headset, then I would have to pay for it. :madmax: I was pretty mad when they said that, so I told them to contact SC and see what they recommend. So what headset will work on the small Nomads or do I need to use a "spacer" regardless?

·
It's Quick
227 Posts
Small frame woes

Yup 7o9 is correct. Here is a pict of my CK + Ventana race solution (2007 small 1 1/8 Nomad).

I asked SC the same thing when I got mine. Answer, it was to cost prohibited to have special parts for special sizes. Hence the generic headset. And considering how in demand their bikes are, I doubt they will change that. :madman:

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for everyones feedback! The shop called me back this morning and said they are going to order the Cane Creek S3 Plus headset. Will this work? I haven't seen any pictures of small Nomads with this headset installed. I don't like the looks of the spacer, so hopefully this will work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
hi guys!

i would also need your help. i have a 07 nomad framesize m with the 66 from 08..and guess what: the crown of the fork is hitting the frame...i use a headset from hope..

could you give me an advice how to handle the problem without changing the headset? is there any possibility to use some kind of spacers "down there" ?

thanks a lot

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
I'm dealing w/the same issue on my Large Nomad. However, my issue is due to the headset I used, (I bought frame only), a Cane Creek Double Xc Flush mount. The flush mount didn't have enough stack height to clear the down tube, (duh, it's a flush mount:rolleyes: ), fork is an 06 66sl. All I gotta do is get a headset w/just a lil stack height and I'm good. Pretty sad that SC is doing this and citing not wanting to carry "parts that fit" because they don't want to carry th' inventory. Good Luck to the rest of you guys.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
Fixed mine.

1st pic is w/flush mount headset that didn't allow the fork crown to clear the down tube.

2nd pic is the remedy: 1 1/2" reducer to 1 1/8" + FSA PIG DHpro headset from my VP Free.

Attachments

·
Registered
401 Posts
honestly, its not the ideal situation I know, but how often are you turning the wheel all the way around like that so that hitting the frame becomes a problem? Unless you're doing bar whips in the air I can't see that this happens very often. People with dual crowns deal with a much narrower turning radius and it's not an issue. Sure if you crash hard and the fork spins around and hits the frame it's bad but hopefully that doesnt happen too often...

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
nightops said:
honestly, its not the ideal situation I know, but how often are you turning the wheel all the way around like that so that hitting the frame becomes a problem? Unless you're doing bar whips in the air I can't see that this happens very often. People with dual crowns deal with a much narrower turning radius and it's not an issue. Sure if you crash hard and the fork spins around and hits the frame it's bad but hopefully that doesnt happen too often...
One crash can turn a good frame into a crash replacement issue w/ SC and you may not have any control over it. How would you feel if it was due to SC sending it to you w/the issue from them, i.e. their fault and then they want to charge you for the crash replacement frame ?? Not a chance I wiling to take w/a frame that's a lil under $2K.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.