Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Adventure Mapper
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my Small ML frame and built it up about a month ago and have a problem with the XT rear der. hitting the Horst link area of the frame. I am saving up for an X9 rear der and shifters b/c I am sure the SRAM rear der's don't hit. I am using a homemade rubber bumper now and it's WEAK. Has anyone else had problems with this? Does Titus know this and now spec SRAM instead on their build kits? Thanks!

Forgiven_Nick

·
Trophy Husband
3,011 Posts
I believe shimano's will hit the chain stay on most bikes with the horst link rear. Shimano even puts a factory "bumper" on the derailuers now.

SRAM does not hit...and works better IMO.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Rear D....

just say no to Shimano :nono: :nono: . SRAM :thumbsup: :thumbsup: It's the ducks nuts. Throw chitty chitty bang bang in the bin when you get your X9.

Go ahead call them, make their day :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Shimano definitely hits...

I went through the same exercise with a Shimano XT - the rubber "bumper" on the derailleur is supposed to quiet the knocking according to a Shimano sales rep who happened to be in my local shop when I was picking my bike up.:madman:

I spoke to Matt at Titus and found out that they recommend SRAM derailleurs for that reason. I went the way of X.9 and haven't looked back! Better shifting and no more bang...bang...bang...when going down the trail.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
yes it is old news. shimano RD wack the frame. and its not just on titus. this led me to swap to X9. a big bonus sram works better, it holds a tune better and is easy to tune.

shimano cranks, front D. ,cassette, and XTR chain.. all = very good/best.
shimano rear D = bad.

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
justrideit said:
I went through the same exercise with a Shimano XT - the rubber "bumper" on the derailleur is supposed to quiet the knocking according to a Shimano sales rep who happened to be in my local shop when I was picking my bike up.:madman:

I spoke to Matt at Titus and found out that they recommend SRAM derailleurs for that reason. I went the way of X.9 and haven't looked back! Better shifting and no more bang...bang...bang...when going down the trail.:thumbsup:
My XT der. has that rubber bumper and it helps with the noise. If possible, I would go to SRAM, but not yet...

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Agreed with others... Shimano hasn't listened to many manufacturers that have asked them to limit the forward movement of their RD's... with no success.

Maybe they would face breakings of the knuckle like SRAM has had in the past. But anyway... I'm on X.7's now after years on Shimano.

I simply used to run the Lizard Skin back over the HL pivot and noise gone. However, you gotta find out a way to protect the fore end of the chainstay in that way.

·
Registered
373 Posts
AboutThatKnock

As some have suggested, this problem is inherent to the Horst Link and betrays a limitation of derailleur design rather than the frame. I noticed it for the first time in the early nineties on the first Horst-inpired bike -- an Amp Research B1 (AKA Mongoose Amplifier) -- and have inherited it again with my current Titus Racer X (which is effectively a direct descendant of the former bike). Two partners have the same problem, one on an Intense Tracer, the other on an Ellsworth ID -- again, both are bikes that incorporate a Horst pivot. Like you, I solved it at first with a piece of grip and a zip-tie and that worked fine for years (I didn't have any slippage problems using a section of an Oury grip, which has deep grooves to hold the zip-tie in place, although every so often the zip-tie would have to be replaced). Now I use SRAM derailleurs, which solves the problem more neatly, although -- sadly -- I've had 2 SRAM derailleurs now (XO, X9) rattle apart on the trail prematurely. For they don't seem to be built quite so reliably as Shimano's (and some Shimano derailleurs, as someone pointed out, now come with a bumper built-in). So, you choose your solution. Either way, I believe that the benefits of any Horst-linked frame far outweigh this minor annoyance. It remains the gold standard for XC dual suspension IMHO. I've ridden 3 Amps (B1, B2, B4) into the ground now and hope to do the same with my Titus (eventually, maybe), and in all that time haven't given other designs so much as a second thought -- knock or no knock. :thumbsup::):)

·
Adventure Mapper
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Excellent post SRR! Thank you. I think that sums it up completely and has answered my question more than adequately. I love my ML and just finished a ride on Cowles Mountain in San Diego before coming to work. The Horst link equipped ML has more benefits than I imagined and I am grateful for all the info on how to come up with the solution to the issue I was having. Thanks again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.