Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
10,557 Posts
I rarely wear out bb's or headsets either but it's nice to pull them apart once or twice a year
Getting to headset bearings takes all of what, 2-3 minutes once the bike is in the stand?
Remove a bolt, loosen 2, pull the stem, whack the steerer tube. Blow it out and reassemble.
Figure maybe a15 minute job if you stop for a couple sips off your beer, and zero special tools needed?

Bottom brackets are more involved of course but still not rocket science by any means.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I love shopping at my favorite lbs. I have two that I head to for parts or things. The service I get at boy shops is great. The one is more of a bigger lbs with a few locations and they are doing really good and have quite a few bike on hand. The other lbs is a small hole in the wall place but has stuff on hand. But the owner also tells me stuff is hard to get just depending on what your looking for. None of the lbs around me are going out of business, least for now. I'm tired of places not having stuff in stock and hearing it's on back order. So ready for things to go back to normal.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I posted in another thread that the shop nearest me closed up. I'm not even sure when it happened. I went by there the other day because I was close by and saw that another store had taken its place.

I'm not surprised honestly, and I don't know if the pandemic had much to do with it. I always thought this shop would close eventually. He never had many bikes in stock, parts were non-existent, and his labor prices were too high. Most of what he carried was Cannondale, and I consider those "easy" to get. I might be wrong but Cannondale seems like something you sell when you want to have "something" but don't want to deal with the big boys like Trek or Specialized.

·
Registered
181 Posts
One thing that drives me nuts about local bike shops - the smaller ones you'll walk into and they still seem to only stock club fit, 1/2 zip jerseys that look like they came straight out of 2005. And they charge $79.99 for them.
I know the type of shops you're talking about. Because all of them around me seem to be that way. You pick up a part and almost have to blow the dust off the box or packaging. One guy had a shop who dabbled in BMX stuff but the stuff he had was probably from 10 years ago.

·
Registered
Status 140, NS Suburban
445 Posts
All local lbs switched to emtb and emtb service since it is supposed to be done by authorized person;

Also within pandemic few lbs have better supply of the bikes rather then online stores;

Cheers

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
One thing that drives me nuts about local bike shops - the smaller ones you'll walk into and they still seem to only stock club fit, 1/2 zip jerseys that look like they came straight out of 2005. And they charge $79.99 for them.
This is why you buy jerseys on Amazon for $20. They are just as good as the overpriced ones at the bike shop.

·
Registered
181 Posts
This is why you buy jerseys on Amazon for $20. They are just as good as the overpriced ones at the bike shop.
Ha, I do that, except I order off Aliexpress and get them even cheaper. I really like the Santic brand ones.

I know people hate on Performance but my local one stocked USA-made TwinSix jerseys. I snatched a few in the clearance bin for like $60.

I know the type of shops you're talking about. Because all of them around me seem to be that way. You pick up a part and almost have to blow the dust off the box or packaging. One guy had a shop who dabbled in BMX stuff but the stuff he had was probably from 10 years ago.
Yeah you walk in and it's like the most generic stuff from QBP at full price and the owner doesn't care to change it up because whatever he has been doing has kinda barely worked for 15 years. Meanwhile there's a teenage kid in the back knows all the coolest gear to stock, problem is anyone looking for that stuff just goes online.

I wanted a Trek Rapidpack recently. There's no way I'd find one at the usual LBS by my house but Trek store had one - I guess that's the future unfortunately. Corporate stores that match online prices.

It's a drive for me but I have a kind of semi-chain of bike stores that carry a TON of gear. Like during the pandemic when trainers were sold out online they had 15 Tacx Flows on the floor. I bought one and it's been a great little toy for the past two years, I use it 5 days/week.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
And this, in a nutshell, is why small retail shops are going out of business. Not just bike shops, all small retail. They simply cannot compete with companies like Amazon.

To be perfectly frank, I'd rather click a button and have the thing at my house in a day or three than have to schlep to a store, chat with some person I don't really want to talk to, and overpay for something because the shop and wholesaler need to take their cut. There are disadvantages, to be sure - I have to keep a stock of parts in the garage in case of failure, as I can't just run into a shop and get what I need the same day. But the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
And this, in a nutshell, is why small retail shops are going out of business. Not just bike shops, all small retail. They simply cannot compete with companies like Amazon.
That doesn't bother me. I'm looking to keep more $$$ in my pocket than theirs. If small retail shops want to compete...then they should have an online presence. I've seen a mix of bike shops online that sell a crap ton of merchandise and bike parts and others that have a website that looks like it was made by a 1st grader.

Plus ordering online saves wear and tear on my car and saves gas. LBS is an hour round trip for me.

Ultimately my goal is to keep more $$$ in my pocket.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Those are great points, which is the biggest reason why Radio Shack and Sears went out of business in the non bicycle world of retailing.

Ultimately saving money is everyones goal........ or is it. Most people have zero consumerism knowledge as they go for the expensive cell phones, lease their non company vehicle, buy gas gussling vehicles, eat out and generally just go in debt and they wonder why their broke hahahaha racking up the credit cards, not becoming financially literate.

That doesn't bother me. I'm looking to keep more $$$ in my pocket than theirs. If small retail shops want to compete...then they should have an online presence. I've seen a mix of bike shops online that sell a crap ton of merchandise and bike parts and others that have a website that looks like it was made by a 1st grader.

Plus ordering online saves wear and tear on my car and saves gas. LBS is an hour round trip for me.

Ultimately my goal is to keep more $$$ in my pocket.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
My closest LBS is hanging in there still. Although, they did have to consolidate into one store, and closed down their sister shop the next town over. Had to let a couple of part time employees go, but kept their 3 longtime dudes with families. They've basically had at least a 2 week wait time for repairs, since the beginning.

·
Super Moderator
4,615 Posts
I didn't want to delete the @Calsun post but it is off-topic as this thread relates to LBS AND gets into some politics which is a 100% way to derail a thread and get it shut-down. It made some very very valid socio-political points but this isn't the forum to have those discussions, unfortunately they never end well. Therefore it's gone.

Lets keep the thread on track please.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts