Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding on and off for about 5 years so I am not a beginner rider. I thought I was sold on getting a 29er. but after talking to a local bike shop they told me I should look at a full suspension instead of a 29er. I am 5"2 and a small girl. I have a price range of $1200-1400. Any suggestions on bikes? I was looking at the niner EMD frame but that is not in my budget. I have also looked at specialized rockhopper 29er. The full susp. i checked out was the X-Caliber WSD trek.

any thoughts or advice would be great!!

Also, what do you think is the most important component you would upgrade first? most of the bikes in my price range have pretty low end components

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
awesome. does anybody know about the weight comparison between a full susp and 29er? where i live it is very rooty which is why the guy said i should go for a full susp.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you explain more as to why your gf got the stumpjumper.. as in "build value" i think the smallest frame size was 15.5 inches and they didn't have any in store but i was scared it might be a little big

·
Registered
562 Posts
LilLiz said:
Can you explain more as to why your gf got the stumpjumper.. as in "build value" i think the smallest frame size was 15.5 inches and they didn't have any in store but i was scared it might be a little big
I took her to several shops and she test rode eveything she could. The EMD and the Stumpie had the best toptube clearance. To build up an EMD with the same spec's as the Stumpie was going to cost $500 more (or so).

This year Specialized had a female specific Stumpjumper. You should def check the out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[I took her to several shops and she test rode eveything she could. The EMD and the Stumpie had the best toptube clearance. To build up an EMD with the same spec's as the Stumpie was going to cost $500 more (or so).

This year Specialized had a female specific Stumpjumper. You should def check the out.][/QUOTE]

Thank you. I haven't been able to test ride any because none of the shops have frames small enough for me. The shop i was talking with about the EMD frame said it would end up being around 2200 for the cheapest build i could do. I have not seen the female specific stumpjumper. Most of the female specific bikes i looked at had pretty cheap components

·
Banned
1,095 Posts
I'm cheap and thrifty. My vote is for buying a used steal 29er HT. You'd be surprised how 29" tubeless wheels ride. Add a carbon or Ti seatpost and it's not a bad ride.

Only problem with used is warrenty. Most frames have a 2-5 year warrenty. With all do respect, if you break a steal frame at your size. Your one bad sista.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i talked with my bike shop about the myka 29er and it has cheaper components than i want. if i spend that money i won't really have much money to upgrade anything so i am trying to stay away from that.

·
Missouri sucks...
2,305 Posts
My wife is taller than you so I don't really have a recommendation for your size. Budget wise, what components are must haves for you? There's not a lot of bikes in your $1200-$1400 price range that are decked out with top notch stuff. You can probably find a bike with a nice Reba but that's about as high a quality fork you're going to find. To sell a bike at that price point, most companies are going to have to throw in some cheap stuff. I would recommend looking for a frame that fits and them a high quality fork first and foremost. In the future you can upgrade to some SLX cranks for under $200, Stans Crest wheelset(your best upgrade bar none for ANY bike you buy in that price range) for around $400, X7/XT drivetrain for under $200... You get my drift. Bottom line, you won't find EXACTLY what you want right off the bat so find a frame that fits with a high quality fork and try to deal with the rest of the build until you can upgrade;)

·
Registered
683 Posts
DFYFZX said:
My wife is taller than you so I don't really have a recommendation for your size. Budget wise, what components are must haves for you? There's not a lot of bikes in your $1200-$1400 price range that are decked out with top notch stuff. You can probably find a bike with a nice Reba but that's about as high a quality fork you're going to find. To sell a bike at that price point, most companies are going to have to throw in some cheap stuff. I would recommend looking for a frame that fits and them a high quality fork first and foremost. In the future you can upgrade to some SLX cranks for under $200, Stans Crest wheelset(your best upgrade bar none for ANY bike you buy in that price range) for around $400, X7/XT drivetrain for under $200... You get my drift. Bottom line, you won't find EXACTLY what you want right off the bat so find a frame that fits with a high quality fork and try to deal with the rest of the build until you can upgrade;)
agreed

·
Registered
533 Posts
I think the full suspension 26 inch bike is the way to go,especially if you do ride technical terrain. Although a hard tail 29er will probably climb better than a full suspension bike nothing beats a full suspension in terms of descents.

I recall one particular descent where it was me and two of my friends. I was riding my full suspension 29er and one my friend was on his 5" inch fs 26 inch bike on the other friend was on his 29er hardtail.

When I descended it felt no more difficult than a ride around the parking lot. My friend on the 26 inch fs bike didn't have any problems either. On the other hand my friend on the 29er hardtail was holding on for dear life. That's not to say you can't do hairy descents on a hardtail 29er but I would rather have a full suspension bike.

Another advantage in a 26er is manuverability when you have a steep technical descent it's just easier to manuver a 26 inch bike than a 29er,which is my a bought a freeride bike.

On the other hand if you have a long straight descent no one can touch you on a 29er.

If you only have one bike I think a 26 inch full suspension bike is the way to go.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Have you looked here http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom29_pro_xi.htm . My wife ( 5' 3") had gotten the Fantom SL last year and race it with great results last season.We picked the 13" frame and you won't find any bike out there with better components in that price range. It comes 85% built, assembly required though so you will need a wrench

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everybody for your response!! any suggestions on a FS 26er? i was looking at some of the specialized but the smallest frame size i found was 15.5 and the bike shop didn't have that in. i was worried that would be too big, but maybe not. Does anyone have any thoughts on the trek womens fuel X5? it is a little out of my price range but i have been looking at that.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I agree with the others that suggested a 26" bike...I tend to believe in wheel size proportionality to rider size...maybe slight heresy here tho where everybody loves 29ers including short people.
If you ride rocky or real bumpy trails...FS is the way to go as well. Your problem will be your price point...will likely be an aluminum frame. Unless you build your bikes which many do here...we are bike fairies :) your relationship with your local bike shop is critical. All the name brands are excellent. Also you will never regret paying a bit more for the bike that speaks to you and btw that includes color.
Ride fun, often and most of all safely.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.