Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I'm sorry if I entered this thread in the wrong forum. Being that lots of builders and welders post here, I'm assuming that my thread would be welcome. If not, please direct the thread to the proper forum. :thumbsup:

I have a titanium frame that has a bead blast finish. I'm converting it to be an all round commuter, and want to install a Tubus Airy titanium rack. Compared to the frame, the rack's welds are really sloppy, but I'm assuming that's because the small tubes and thin walls are very difficult to weld...

My question is this... Before I have the rack bead blasted to match the frame's finish, can the welds on the "out of the box" rack accept a second pass welding so as to better match the aesthetics of the frame's welds? For me, it would be worth the effort and cost to tweak the rack if it is possible... I'd appreciate any comments on the quality of the welds seen on the tubus rack. The photo shows another Tubus model's welds...

Thanks! :)

Attachments

·
Shamisen Appreciator
2,088 Posts
I've had a couple of Airy racks come through here and noticed that the welds aren't great looking. It IS a bit more difficult to do those small diameter welds if only because you quickly get into weird positions and change positions more often.

I'd recommend against a second pass. I don't recall what the venting situation is on those racks and you'd be in the best shape to leave the warranty completely intact. Plus, for what it would cost you to have someone "beautify" the welds, you could probably return the Airy and spend the sum of the two to have a ti rack custom made.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Smudge; your answers are always very clear and appreciated. :)

As much as I like the Airy, I prefer the Fly's design, but it is not available in titanium. Custom would indeed be better. IMO, the Fly could use two cross tubes, plus two attachment arms. It the rack was custom, the arms could be welded, which along with the braces, would make it much stronger.

Tubus welds are definitely a bit rough to say the least....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,491 Posts
Go custom, or else just use it

I think that if weld appearance is an issue for you, you want to spend the $ on a custom rack. Racks on the mass market are very utilitarian items (yes, even the ti ones) and the appearance of the welding reflects this - they're not going to break or fall apart, and beyond that, the welder probably doesn't care a whole lot. Which is fine if you want to slap groceries on and get home.

If, on the other hand, you're more of a rolling-artwork kind of person (there is nothing wrong with wanting things to look nice) I don't think you're going to find what you want mass produced. Lots of folks make super sweet custom racks out of any material you want, save up your beer money and call them up.

-Walt

Thanks, Smudge; your answers are always very clear and appreciated. :)

As much as I like the Airy, I prefer the Fly's design, but it is not available in titanium. Custom would indeed be better. IMO, the Fly could use two cross tubes, plus two attachment arms. It the rack was custom, the arms could be welded, which along with the braces, would make it much stronger.

Tubus welds are definitely a bit rough to say the least....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts