Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Randomhead
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i would like to build a small helmet light mostly for reading my cue sheet while navigating. It would be nice to be able to put it on high for oncoming drivers that don't dim their lights. Since you can get down to 10mm with suitable optics, I went looking for a driver that size. Seems like all the small drivers on DX are perennially back ordered. Anyone know of a 12mm or smaller driver that would work for this? I've thought about remoting the driver with the batteries, but it seems better to get a small driver and put it with the led.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I haven't been able to find a small multimode driver. Best bet is the micropuck.

Next helmet light will be based on this guy in the 4AA battery pack. 80mA all the time and 700 when you need it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
znomit said:
I haven't been able to find a small multimode driver. Best bet is the micropuck.

Next helmet light will be based on this guy in the 4AA battery pack. 80mA all the time and 700 when you need it.
What leds are you going to use with it?

I've just finished a light today with that driver.

XPG x 3 + R2 x 1; 80/700mA; at present uses 12 x AA's (will order Li-ion soon now I'm getting more sorted.)

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
ireland57 said:
What leds are you going to use with it?
I've just finished a light today with that driver.
XPG x 3 + R2 x 1; 80/700mA; at present uses 12 x AA's (will order Li-ion soon now I'm getting more sorted.)
Post pics!
Its going to be uber lightweight single XPG.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Rich_SC said:
you know the standard buckpuck is pretty tiny and I think will fit in a 1" diameter housing.
I think it's kind of big. The standard buckpuck is almost as large as this light.:)

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=574292

I would have really liked to keep the driver in the light on this build. One of those Sandwich shop units might have allowed it though at 13mm diameter by 4mm thick. Too bad I didn't know of them at the time. It would have made the light larger but not too much.

·
Registered
504 Posts
znomit said:
Post pics!
Its going to be uber lightweight single XPG.
I'll see if I can post some today.

I'm going to mow my yard now and I'd much rather do that instead of mucking about with lights. :mad: :madman: :madmax: :mad: :madman: :mad: NOT!

I didn't take any pics while I was building this one so they're only completed ones; had too much drama building light.

Beamshots I've done in the past have been very poor due to camera (or operator); didn't seem much point posting them.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've been trying to get some pics for you but it's saying invalid file. I've resized them in Picture Manager, saved, copy, bla, bla. Then won't bring them over for some reason.

I'll keep at it; man needs more patience than a ****1ng saint for this technology garbage. :mad:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Your best bet is probably to host the images on a different site (i.e. photobucket or similar) and then use the IMG tags to link them here. It usually works a lot better than attaching photos to your posts here.

·
Registered
504 Posts
dnlwthrn said:
Your best bet is probably to host the images on a different site (i.e. photobucket or similar) and then use the IMG tags to link them here. It usually works a lot better than attaching photos to your posts here.
That's what I used.
I've resized on Picture Manager (M/soft program), download to P/bucket; it shows it's gone 26,000 bits down to approx 2100 bits then still loads as a full size photo.

I'm missing something; I'll keep at it 'til it happens.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts