Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to me overtightening some spokes trying to true my rim, there are a couple of small kinks and dips along the braking surface of my back rim. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks!

·
uofabill
213 Posts
A couple of thoughts;

I'm not sure from reading your question what kinds of bends you have in your rim, if they are short or long.
There is a type of plier type tool with wide jaws for straightening out the sides of rims. I don't know if you'd think it was worth the money to buy a set of those for just this situation. An LBS might have some and they might loan them to you or do the straightening for you reasonably.
Something I have done which is probably not politically correct (in the mechanical sense), I have a small anvil and the flat end of it is thin enough to fit into the spoke valley or gorge of most rims. With the rim slipped over that flat end I have GENTLY pounded out some dents using either a rubber or rawhide mallet. Some type of mallet with a firm but not metal face so it won't mar the rim. A piece of sheet steel C-clamped to a bench would work the same.
Don't know if this will help or not.
Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.