Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Riding a Rig.
Joined
·
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Ibex Ignithion 2 and today when I was cleaning it I noticed a small crack on the bottom of the BB. It seems to run from one side of the weld to a small hole. I'll give jack at ibex a call on monday but I wondered what you guys thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,635 Posts
no such thing as a small crack

Only cracks fixing to become big cracks. Yer frame, sorry to say, is toast. Stop riding it, or at least wear good walking shoes when your ride, because one day soon, kaboom. Or bondo and paint over it and sell it quick to somebody you don't like, then change your address and phone number.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
391 Posts
If there's a visible stress crack, it's a sure thing that there's invisible stress cracks (micro fracturing)

Aluminum has no rebound and no fatigue life. It may be a sign that the frame has seen all the use it can take. I would watch out because that little crack can explode for virtually no reason.
 

·
Riding a Rig.
Joined
·
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the frame has a lifetime warenty on it, and I'm sure ibex will take care of me.
 

·
Riding a Rig.
Joined
·
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Racer9 said:
The crack doesn't look too bad yet. But what is that hole?
duno about the hole, I remember it being there since I got the bike though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
Yeah, the others are right. Any crack in aluminum is bad.

Based upon what I've read about Ibex's good service, you should be well taken care of. That lifetime warranty is handy.

As for that little hole, I think it's just a manufacturing result of the way the welds formed.
I've seen dimples like that on couple of my frames in the past, albeit they were beach cruiser frames so they were never put to any kind of test.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
506 Posts
Your are lucky it didn't explode completely. You are also lucky you got an IBEX. I hear their customer service is the best available.
 

·
Riding a Rig.
Joined
·
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I don't know of any other company whose owner is just a phonecall away,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
i have a dept, store bike and my kick stand basicalkt fell off, well pulled out my trusty ARC welder and welded to my hearts content. if it cracks on my and my bike falls aprt, uhh oh, but i dont have the money to buy a better bike for now, so hey, what the heck, it'll be one hell off a picture :D !!!!
 

·
Riding a Rig.
Joined
·
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I talked to Jack on monday, and he had a new front triangle shipped out the same day. I emailed him today to get an update and he said it should be here tommorow. Yep, Ibex definatly has great service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
Vulcan said:
Well, I talked to Jack on monday, and he had a new front triangle shipped out the same day. I emailed him today to get an update and he said it should be here tommorow. Yep, Ibex definatly has great service.
Good to hear that Ibex too care of it with just phone call. I was eyeing that Ibex Apogee frame with the Swinger shock. Not bad, $600 for a 5" travel swinger sprung trail bike AND a lifetime warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
That hole

Most bikes have a hole at the lowest point on them, so that any water that gets into the frame can get out again. WIth hardtails, it tends to be at the rear dropouts. FS is generally at the BB.

Push your bike through a river (deeper than the BB) and watch closely when you get out again :)

Racer9 said:
The crack doesn't look too bad yet. But what is that hole?
 

·
I'm feeling dirty, you?
Joined
·
855 Posts
FredNZ said:
Most bikes have a hole at the lowest point on them, so that any water that gets into the frame can get out again. WIth hardtails, it tends to be at the rear dropouts. FS is generally at the BB.

Push your bike through a river (deeper than the BB) and watch closely when you get out again :)
Correct, but you'll be putting the bearings at risk.

The sound of a grinding BB is a mental torture because you just don't know how much damage you're doing.
I know from personal experience.
 

·
Chatham NJ
Joined
·
477 Posts
stalk&kill said:
i have a dept, store bike and my kick stand basicalkt fell off, well pulled out my trusty ARC welder and welded to my hearts content. if it cracks on my and my bike falls aprt, uhh oh, but i dont have the money to buy a better bike for now, so hey, what the heck, it'll be one hell off a picture :D !!!!
w t f

good luck with your new frame!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,982 Posts
Vulcan said:
Yeah, I don't know of any other company whose owner is just a phonecall away,
There are others. Turner is definitely just a phone call away. I hear good things about Sherwood Gibson at Ventana, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
Just wondering, did you send Ibex the picture or did you have to take it to your LBS?

Just wondering, did you send Ibex the picture or did you have to take it to your LBS?

Definitely, key thing in buying a bike along with the size and specs is the company that will stand behind or abandon the product once they get the money. That's one reason I ride TREK--have two of them. A lot of manufacturers make great bikes, but very few of them are there 100% when something fails even after providing a lifetime warranty.

So now I know, Ibex is good.
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
Ditrpaws is right....

dirtpaws said:
Yeah, the others are right. Any crack in aluminum is bad.

Based upon what I've read about Ibex's good service, you should be well taken care of. That lifetime warranty is handy.

As for that little hole, I think it's just a manufacturing result of the way the welds formed.
I've seen dimples like that on couple of my frames in the past, albeit they were beach cruiser frames so they were never put to any kind of test.
Pretty much like a cavity formed by welding process (maybe the welder missed with the torch when starting a weld).

Enjoy your new frame.
 

·
Riding a Rig.
Joined
·
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I emailed Jack a picture of the crack. He shipped the replacement directly to me. I'm going to take it to the lbs to get it changed out.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top