Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Heavylegs
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am Trail Steward for a very small club in need for something, anything to help us stay a float in this insurance mess. I remember reading in one of the post that someone had become an unpaid employee of thier State Park. I was thinking if this might be a possibility for interested land managers and very small clubs to keep things moving regaurdless of the speed it would move? I may not have understood the comments made but if a person would volunteer his time to make it happen why could he/she not be able to become a "unpaid employee acting under direction of the land manager" to lead a group of registered volunteers of the park system to build and maintain all or any trails within the park? Just thinking that this would skirt any liability to the clubs, and we could continue to help our cash straped park systems untill we could grow large enough to be self sufficient?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Our State Parks have their own volunteer program that includes coverage for volunteers. Check to see if you Park has a volunteer program and if you can continue to maintain trails as Park volunteers.

This will cover you for trail maintenance.

·
Registered
264 Posts
our State..

5. Stewardship activities shall be evaluated by the Respective Management Authority annually to determine whether they merit continuation or modification.

6. As volunteers in this Program, participants are provided with the same liability and workers= compensation protection as salaried state employees, as long as they are acting within the scope and terms of the Agreement and comply with the Department's guidelines for use of volunteers.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Are you referring to the $300 trailwork event insurance through K&K? If that's the case i was under the impression that was only needed when a non-member of the club was present. Am i mistaken?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I guess i was assuming that OP was thinking of getting insurance for their club, but was worried about affording the $300 "event" insurance. After re-reading the question the OP may just be asking about ways to do trailwork without the insurance.

·
Heavylegs
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess i was assuming that OP was thinking of getting insurance for their club, but was worried about affording the $300 "event" insurance. After re-reading the question the OP may just be asking about ways to do trailwork without the insurance.
Porch, the trailwork side is what I was asking about. I was just putting it out there to see if any other groups have worked that closely with thier local land manager in order to keep trails in good shape? As for the question of where, Ohio State Parks, and a small city park is the two area that would in question.

·
Heavylegs
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow that is great news for that town! Building an entire network of trails is more than what is needed as of now. We are a new very small club with enough trails that have been neglected for many years to take care of with only a few volunteers to accomplish this. I just want to keep up on our current trails untill we straighten this insurance situation out.

·
Heavylegs
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, no videos. The original trails were built decades before IMBA was even a thought, so no. Our club in our 2 yrs exsistence have a working relaitionship with the LM and have completed several reroutes, as well as completed a short (5/8 mile) trail extension that fixes a poorly thought out fallline trail. My question was not how to work with local LM, but if any other clubs have worked with LM to aid in not having insurance?

·
saddlemeat
3,873 Posts
No, no videos. The original trails were built decades before IMBA was even a thought, so no. Our club in our 2 yrs exsistence have a working relaitionship with the LM and have completed several reroutes, as well as completed a short (5/8 mile) trail extension that fixes a poorly thought out fallline trail. My question was not how to work with local LM, but if any other clubs have worked with LM to aid in not having insurance?
Does your LM require you to carry insurance?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts