Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i searched a bit but cannot find a thread with this specific topic...

i'm going to be racing on 29er i9's with stan's rims. i want a dry/race tire and i'm checking out the kenda small block 8 and the fast trak lk (control not SWorks). i will be using yellow tape and sealant. it looks like the fast trak lk weighs 40grams more per tire but should be more reliable setup tubeless. i've been unsuccessful before getting kenda's to seal.

so my questions are:

1. can anyone comment that has used both of these tires??

2. can you suggest any other dry/race tire that sets up reliably with stans??

thanks in advance

·
Az HS Cycling League
325 Posts
I have...

a litlle experience with both. I have raced on the Fastraks for a couple years, but have only demoed the SB8's. I have found the Fastraks really reliable tubeless and can't remember damaging a sidewall (both tubeless version and non-tubeless versions). They roll respectfully fast and can handle 28 to 30 psi under my 210 lbs well.

My experience with the SB8 was that I felt less stable in high speed corners (Arizona gravel over hardpack). They rolled nicely. Although I have no experience mounting SB8's tubeless, other Kenda tire have been really tricky mounting successfully. Some worked great other didn't (leaking at the bead, used Stan's rims).

My vote is the Fastraks. I like the reliability of them and they are reasonably grounded race type tire in my opinion.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Another vote for the Fastraks. SBs seemed to go from totally gripping to totally not instantly in fast corners. Didn't run them for long so can't speak to longevity but the Fastraks seem to maintain effectiveness as they wear. Just realized I got a whole season out of mine (run it on the front) and will probably keep it rolling a little longer.

Hutchinson Piranha tubeless light for the rear is cheap and one of my faves. Stiff sidewall=low running pressure and sets up great tubeless. Its teh suxxor on the front though.

·
Stay thirsty my friends
885 Posts
The trick to getting the SB8's to grip in loose over hardpack is to trim off with end nipper pliers the row of knobs just outside the inner 4 rows, every second knob if you want to experiment first.

This is an angled end nipper plier, the straight work OK but these work the best for modifying tires;

I absolutely love these tires as I consider them a blank canvas ready for tuning, they seal up exceptionally well with Stans and I even run a set as tubeless on my DH bike in 2.3" sizing. They wear like iron, grip like snot on every surface once modified and roll very fast. Not to mention once you remove a bunch of knobs off them they are even lighter and cheap too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have both these tires now. The fast traks are mounted on my Rocky mountain trailhead and the small block 8s on my new cannondale sl3.

I was thinking of running both bikes with the fast trak up front and the small block 8 on the rear.

Any thoughts on this setup?

I can't say much about either tire right now, thus far my experience has been with maxxi high rollers which I loved!

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I have used both. Preferred the Fast Traks for ease of setting up tubeless. And the grip. If you want a faster rolling tyre on the back, consider the Specialized Renegade. More similar to the SB8, but with easier tubeless mounting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.