Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Praise Bob
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently run 2.35 Nev's in front and back of my bike. I have been through a few sets and have been pretty happy with the over traction of the tires. I run them tubeless and that made a difference in lowering rolling resistance and gave a better feel at the bars so that got me to thinking.

Since my rear tire is about ready for replacement, I was thinking about going with a 2.1 small block 8. I was hoping this would be even lighter and roll even better. I would still keep the 2.35 nevegal on the front since I like the way it digs in corners.

Has anyone else tried this setup? I try and stay out of mud but the east coast is pretty much wet all the time. Does the SB-8 only work on dry hardpack? Does it slip off wet roots/rocks?

thanks!

·
Registered
99 Posts
My brother runs SB8 on front and rear, because his bike came stock that way. They are great on hardpack, but at the first sign of mud they are horrible. Just my observations, I've never actually done any serious riding on his bike.

·
I wonder why?
552 Posts
Spartacus Rex said:
I currently run 2.35 Nev's in front and back of my bike. I have been through a few sets and have been pretty happy with the over traction of the tires. I run them tubeless and that made a difference in lowering rolling resistance and gave a better feel at the bars so that got me to thinking.

Since my rear tire is about ready for replacement, I was thinking about going with a 2.1 small block 8. I was hoping this would be even lighter and roll even better. I would still keep the 2.35 nevegal on the front since I like the way it digs in corners.

Has anyone else tried this setup? I try and stay out of mud but the east coast is pretty much wet all the time. Does the SB-8 only work on dry hardpack? Does it slip off wet roots/rocks?

thanks!
I'm in the east also. I ride lot's of rocks and roots (that are often wet). I've run both Nevegals Stickie and SB-8s. The Nevegals are great for traction on the wet roots and rocks the SB-8s are not (very dicey). I've switched out the Nevegals (due to the slow rolling resistance) to Big Betty's (Front) and Nobby Nics (rear) and Nobby Nic (rear) and Racing Ralph (front) on my bikes respectively.

The Big Betty is as good or better than the Nevegals (with much better RR). The Racing Ralphs and Nobby Nics are better than the SB-8s in all conditions (better RR too).

i1dry?

·
Registered
818 Posts
I ride the Nevegal tires and have pedaled around the SB-8's Those tires roll really fast.

My buddy was running them for a while and called them the scariest tires he owned. You can go twice as fast, but you have half the traction. That was his story. He started crashing. After he crashed and scratched up the inside his of lip, he got grounded by his wife. Switched tires after that.

I just ordered some Kenda Dred-Tred tires. I'll see how those go. None of the Kenda 2.1 UST tires come in the Dual Tread Compound from what I have seen.

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
I don't think you can even compare those two tires. One is a lightweight XC race tire and the other shouldn't even be in the same sentence with the term "XC"!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I ride both and like them both also run blue groove, small block 8's super fast and grippy best in dry hard pack or wet hard pack , not mud , I found them ok on wood , and frozen snow was ok, hopeless braking if slightly damp, I have just tried Blue groove front and small block 8 rear fast but not much rear braking but its gone wet again , just put the blue groove back on, prefer these to nevegals just don't roll as fast. All 2.35 , dry hard pack small block 8's my favourite

·
I dig trails!
5,611 Posts
Jim311 said:
I don't think you can even compare those two tires. One is a lightweight XC race tire and the other shouldn't even be in the same sentence with the term "XC"!
They both share the same casing so they are only different in tread pattern.

That said, if it is dry, not to chunky & loose and you know how to counter balance turns, the SB8 is a great tire.

In sand over hard, it is the best tire I've used.

It rolls really good, but not the greatest (2.1 rolls much faster than the 2.35).

This past race season I ran the SB8 2.1 front and rear on hardpack and loose over hardpack courses. Grip is way beyond what the tire looks like, but the usual Kenda weaksauce sidewalls frustrate a smooth ride with a 40psi rear. Last year I ran the 2.1 converted tubeless on the rear at 32psi and it felt dicy. But then I hit turns with as much speed as possible in a race to preserve momentum (SS class).

A riding buddy won a DH Expert race with a Nev F / SB8 R.

So to sum up: SB 8: quick tire, has some caveats, requires some skill, but is a great tire. :D

P

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Spartacus Rex said:
Spartacus - curious if you run the rear in the suggested direction (arrow) or if you run or have tried running the rear backwards.

cheers

·
Mojo0115
1,667 Posts
I have run Nevegals for the past 3 years out here in Colorado and recently switched to a Panaracer FR front and Kenda SB8 rear. I hated the Panacer in off-camber rock sections in Moab and it came off really quickly and was replaced by the Nevegal again.

The SB8 I really loved, it still tracked well in dry conditions and felt faster (it could have just been psychological). However when I was doing practice runs at this years Angel Fire Super-D in terrible wet conditions over rocks and roots the SB8 was very bad. I switch back to a Nevegal and the difference was incredible.

For most of my riding the SB8 would probably be perfect but in adverse conditions (for me at least) it was almost unridable.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
i1dry said:
I'm in the east also. I ride lot's of rocks and roots (that are often wet). I've run both Nevegals Stickie and SB-8s. The Nevegals are great for traction on the wet roots and rocks the SB-8s are not (very dicey). I've switched out the Nevegals (due to the slow rolling resistance) to Big Betty's (Front) and Nobby Nics (rear) and Nobby Nic (rear) and Racing Ralph (front) on my bikes respectively.

The Big Betty is as good or better than the Nevegals (with much better RR). The Racing Ralphs and Nobby Nics are better than the SB-8s in all conditions (better RR too).

i1dry?
Are you using the Big Betty Gooey Gluey Compound or the Triple Compound??

What size Nobby Nics (there's a 2.4 with snakeskin I've been eyeing..)

·
I wonder why?
552 Posts
SuperbMan said:
Are you using the Big Betty Gooey Gluey Compound or the Triple Compound??

What size Nobby Nics (there's a 2.4 with snakeskin I've been eyeing..)
I'm running the Big Betty Triple Compound (tubeless w/Stan's) up front on my el Guapo and in the process of testing both a 2.25 Nobby Nic EVO Tubeless and 2.4 Nobby Nic Evo Snakeskin (tubeless w/Stan's) on the rear. I tried a 2.25 Albert Snakeskin on the back and it was okay when dry, but very scary when wet (I literally swapped ends a couple of times on wet rocks and logs).:p

On my Motolite, up front, I'm running a 2.4 Nobby Nic Evo Skakeskin (tubeless w/Stan's) and 2.25 Racing Ralph Evo Skakeskin (tubeless w/Stan's) in the back. I've run the Racing Ralph's up front as well. It was better than the SB-8, in virtually all conditions, but the Nobby Nic is much better in the wet and anything that is not hardpack. That's not to say the Nobby Nic suffers on the hard back, it rolls very well (I'd say equal to if not a bit better than the SB-8). It corners better than the SB-8 as well.

On the Motolite, aside from the SB-8s, I've also run: 2.35 Nevegals (Stick-E), 2.1 Blue Groves (Stick-E) and Continental Survival Pros, Explorers and Survival Pros. All had their pros and cons.

So far, I'm really liking the Schwalbe Big Betty/Nobby Nic and Nobby Nic/Racing Ralph combos.:thumbsup:

i1dry?

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
I have run 2.35 SB8's and Nevegals back to back. Nevegals offer much more bite / traction @ a slow pace. The SB8's roll super fast but offer little traction if the trail is loose or rocky.

·
Registered
323 Posts
keen said:
The SB8's roll super fast but offer little traction if the trail is loose or rocky.
Really different experience here. I just got back from 2 downieville downhill runs on 2.1 tubeless small block 8s and I have to say I was very pleasantly suprised by the performance. Downieville defines loose and rocky and the small block 8s took a VERY hard beating and never flatted. Fast as **** too!I rolled through some riverbeds and steam crossings and didn't slip-no mud experience though. I'm going to run these things the rest of the summer

·
Registered
45 Posts
Never tried the SB8 because most of my riding is in the mud given the rainy rock I live on, so I guess if your trails are dry and dusty then they are great, wet roots and mud then avoid...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.