Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have 2.3 SB8's on mavic 325 rims on my dirt jump hardtail.
So far, I've only used them indoors at Ray's - http://www.raysmtb.com/

They have a round profile even with a wide rim (I tend to prefer a squarer profile for trail riding and downhill) but it works great for the smooth ramps and what not, they roll fast, and the minimal tread grips the natural stuff and skinnies pretty good, too.

Will know more in the spring when I can get them outside on a real trail.

So far, I really like 'em - a great compromise between a "park" slick, and a trail knobby.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I love mine on hardpack, they have great grip and are predictable. They spin a little bit on log crossings, but nothing too bad. They also didn't do as bad as I expected them to when things are wet. The best thing about them is that they roll fast, fast, fast.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have been running one on the rear for about 6 months (about 1000 miles) and I love it. Low rolling resistance, fairly quiet on pavement, and runs great on hard pack. I think it may not have enough "grab" for a front tire but I haven't tried it there.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
billee said:
I have been running one on the rear for about 6 months (about 1000 miles) and I love it. Low rolling resistance, fairly quiet on pavement, and runs great on hard pack. I think it may not have enough "grab" for a front tire but I haven't tried it there.
yeah i plan to run it on the front. i'm also beginning to think it's more of a rear tire...at least on dry hardback.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I'm running the UST version as a rear tire where it replaced a DTC Nevegal (non-UST). Relative to the Nevegal it is noticeably lighter and faster rolling, offers as good traction on hardpack, but is inferior in wet traction, particularly wet roots and rocks. I'm really happy with it, but I spin out/loose traction more with it on the wet roots/rocks than with the Nevegal.

·
Lord of the Chainrings
2,925 Posts
Been using them for about 3 months now. Very fast and very sticky!
Only downside I can find is that the sidewall casing is kinda thin.

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
How well do they wear? I'm hoping that they're fairly durable since they use Kenda's DTC compound. I was only able to get about a month of riding out of some stick-e Nevegals, particularly on the rear. Hoping these will last longer.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mwcet8k said:
How well do they wear? I'm hoping that they're fairly durable since they use Kenda's DTC compound. I was only able to get about a month of riding out of some stick-e Nevegals, particularly on the rear. Hoping these will last longer.
i really like the DTC. longer tread life mostly and knowing the sideblocks are softer is comforting...

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Natty Shreddz said:
How are the SB8's on loose over hard?
I think it would depend on how coarse the "loose" part is. The finer the better for the SB8. Once the "loose" gets a bit gravely the tread will not penetrate well.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
shiggy said:
I think it would depend on how coarse the "loose" part is. The finer the better for the SB8. Once the "loose" gets a bit gravely the tread will not penetrate well.
have u used them? or is this theoretical?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
misctwo said:
have u used them? or is this theoretical?
I have the SB8 tires but it has been too wet here to run them. My comments are based on similar concept treads such as the Python, some other long-discontinued tires and 20-some years of trying pretty much every tread in every condition.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
shiggy said:
I have the SB8 tires but it has been too wet here to run them. My comments are based on similar concept treads such as the Python, some other long-discontinued tires and 20-some years of trying pretty much every tread in every condition.
gotcha.

·
Registered
87 Posts
shiggy said:
Thanks for the expertise Shiggy! The terrain I ride is mainly "medium coarse loose" over hard...it's pretty slick in the corners. What's the best lightweight, fast rolling, UST tire for that kind of terrain? I checked your site out and I've got a Rampage 2.35 UST on backorder for a front tire, but I'm looking for something 2.1 that's a little lighter for the rear. Recomendations?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.