Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if I should run my current setup...Kenda Small Block 8 in the rear and
WTB Mutano Raptor in the front?

Raced Skyline last year, but forgot what tires I used, but I remember it being mostly hardpack, but loose in the technical rocky sections.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I would opt for a grippier tire than a SB-8, for the sandier and looser rock sections on the backside of the course. On this course I put more of a premium on traction over a faster rolling tire, but i am not the fastest rider in town by any stretch so a little slower tire isn't going to change much. Good luck Sunday:thumbsup:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sorry, decomposed granite is probably a better descriptor. The climb on Manzanita trail is fairly loose right now. For those that can keep up their momentum over the stair steps it's probably not an issue.

·
zoip.
170 Posts
I rode skyline yesterday on 2.4 mutanos. it's pretty dry and slippery in general so even really grippy tires aren't going to help too much. that said, small block 8's were the scariest tires I ever rode - fast and utterly lacking in traction. yikes!

·
horn doggie
847 Posts
Small Block-8s are an ideal tire for hardpack and loose over hardpack. There are many small grip faces represented by each little lug, that individually can conform to irregularities much better than larger blocks with the same linear edge length. I say SM-8 rear, and Nevegal front, are a killer combo. I even use that exact set up to race DH in those type conditions (e.g., Toro park), as braking traction is awesome and they spin up very fast.

·
Urban Ninja
2,381 Posts
scooderdude said:
Small Block-8s are an ideal tire for hardpack and loose over hardpack. There are many small grip faces represented by each little lug, that individually can conform to irregularities much better than larger blocks with the same linear edge length. I say SM-8 rear, and Nevegal front, are a killer combo. I even use that exact set up to race DH in those type conditions (e.g., Toro park), as braking traction is awesome and they spin up very fast.
Hey Scott, are you coming out for this? It's a great race. I'll be there! Nice work on the CCCX series. Now you gots no moneys left for Whistler or what?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sounds like the small block 8 is just perfect, for the conditions so definitely go with that?:thumbsup:

·
horn doggie
847 Posts
jeng said:
Hey Scott, are you coming out for this? It's a great race. I'll be there! Nice work on the CCCX series. Now you gots no moneys left for Whistler or what?
Skyline.... is that an XC event? Nah..... I'm a bit burnt out on racing - 22 events and 28 individual races since January '07. And a heck of a lot poorer for the effort. :eek:

I'm heading to the "Mt. Bike Oregon" event in August, instead of Whistler. It's 1/3 the distance, 1/4 the time committment, and substantially cheaper overall. Plus, having attended it last year, too, it's some great riding, partying, scenery, and commaraderie.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Pre-rode the course last Sunday with the SB8 on the front and rear on a hardtail. Made it up all the climbs including Passini, the pain-in-the-a** climb up the side of a rock on Chaparral, and Manzanita.

Descending the final switchbacks was just a bit dicey, but the surface was really chewed up and sandier than normal.

I'd be curious to see how a WTB Wolverine would work out on that course.

·
pedal faster!
82 Posts
Pre-rode the course last Sunday with the SB8 on the front and rear on a hardtail. Made it up all the climbs including Passini, the pain-in-the-a** climb up the side of a rock on Chaparral, and Manzanita.

Descending the final switchbacks was just a bit dicey, but the surface was really chewed up and sandier than normal.

I'd be curious to see how a WTB Wolverine would work out on that course
Do you think a hardtail will be alright for that course? Im only racing sport....

I'll be running a specialized captain in front and probably a kenda karma in the rear

·
Urban Ninja
2,381 Posts
XC Only said:

I'd be curious to see how a WTB Wolverine would work out on that course.
That Passini Road climb is a Biotch! I don't expect to even get the chance to climb it in the race. I'm sure the traffic will be backed up. So you climbed all of Manzanita? Even the hike a bike section near the beginning? That's impressive. Hopefully your not in my class.;) I love those last switchbacks on Manzanita!

·
Urban Ninja
2,381 Posts
scooderdude said:
Skyline.... is that an XC event? Nah..... I'm a bit burnt out on racing - 22 events and 28 individual races since January '07. And a heck of a lot poorer for the effort. :eek:
Skyline is considered an XC event but I consider it one of the true mountain bike races. Up there with Lemurian and Downieville. The course is a mountain bikers course not a road weenie course like the Sea Otter XC. I guess that's why they chose to hold the Single Speed Worlds there this year. You should try it. If not this year maybe next.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.