Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Planning on it...first 100mi off road race.

I shouldn't suck as badly as I did last time I did an endurance race (PMBAR) as I've essentially doubled my road hours from 8 to 15/wk since right now my training focus isn't criteriums and shorter road races. This won't change until around February, so I should be able to man up for the long haul :)

RSW: Do I know you? I'm about 98% sure I know the Jimmy you're talking about. I ride with C4 on the road and do some scattered MTB and CX racing.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Snuffleupagus said:
RSW: Do I know you? I'm about 98% sure I know the Jimmy you're talking about. I ride with C4 on the road and do some scattered MTB and CX racing.
Jimmy rides w/ C-4 once in a while I think.

He is a Singlespeed FREAK on a blue Ventana.

r

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm in. First endurance race, but have to concentrate on the road miles right now for the Rocky Mtn Bike Tour the first week in Aug (500 road ride). Having never done one, my only real goal is to finish, but I would like to do it in 11 hours or less. I have about 2200 miles in the legs at this point (mostly fast, hilly club rides and lots of trips down to Skyline drive for hours of steady climbing). Only super long distance ride I've done was the C&O canal - all 187 of it in one day, which has no climbing, but it's a long day in the saddle.

I have some ergon grips and crossmax st's on order since my current wheels are garbage.

Any tips/advice? Appreciate it. Looking forward to my first endurance!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Tires? Much of the race is on mountain roads. There's a few long sections of pavement too. I would count on the course being pretty dry. Last year it was bone dry. The downhills are screaming fast and can get kind of rough. Something that rolls fast with good volume would be appropriate. May want to stay away from the flyweight tires.

I think I'll be using Bontrager Dry X's or Revolt 2.2's. The tubeless ready versions are a bit more durable for those fast rocky decents.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think with a little bit of sealant, the UST versions would probably be tough enough, but Pythons might get a little scary on some of the decents. You may want something a little wider than a 2.0. But if you're a good bike handler and are used to riding in the mountains, then you probably won't have any trouble with the Pythons... unless it rains a lot.

Full suspension's probably a little overkill for a skilled rider. If I go... I plan on riding my 69er. 2.2 Revolt on the rear and Dry X 29er on the front. I'll probably run a wider riser bar too. Make sure your granny gear works!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Simonster said:
Make sure your granny gear works!
I can relate to this.
Last year my front-d didn't wanna didn't wanna move over that last 1/8" to drop the chain into the small ring. Everytime I wanted granny I had to manually move the chain over by hand.
Usually not a big deal but in this race I need all 27 gears.

I know, I get no sympathy for the SSer's.

Seeyall out there.

·
TRACKDADDY
332 Posts
This will be my first SM100 I have attempted the Cascade Cream Puff 100 twice but due to inexperience and heat I have yet to finish a hundie... I will be coming from Tacoma, WA visiting family for a week in NC before driving up to VA for the race. Since I won't have my full quiver of tires available I will need to bring what tires will work best... I currently run the Conti 29er Mountain King 2.4 f & 2.2 r. I tried the Racing Ralph 29er 2.4 f & 2.25 r and found them to be too sketchy in the loose dry we have right now here in WA... I have found my Mountain Kings to be a great all around tire but some would call them heavy or too much for a hundie in August...?? I am running all tires tubeless on Stans Flows with yellow tape and goop. Riding a full suspension Black Sheep 29er STHighlight 4"f 4"r. Any advice would be appreciated....

Thanks,

Brandon

·
TRACKDADDY
332 Posts
BUMP

Brandon448 said:
This will be my first SM100 I have attempted the Cascade Cream Puff 100 twice but due to inexperience and heat I have yet to finish a hundie... I will be coming from Tacoma, WA visiting family for a week in NC before driving up to VA for the race. Since I won't have my full quiver of tires available I will need to bring what tires will work best... I currently run the Conti 29er Mountain King 2.4 f & 2.2 r. I tried the Racing Ralph 29er 2.4 f & 2.25 r and found them to be too sketchy in the loose dry we have right now here in WA... I have found my Mountain Kings to be a great all around tire but some would call them heavy or too much for a hundie in August...?? I am running all tires tubeless on Stans Flows with yellow tape and goop. Riding a full suspension Black Sheep 29er STHighlight 4"f 4"r. Any advice would be appreciated....

Thanks,

Brandon
Any advice??

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.