Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a bike for park / all mountain riding with the occasional 2000' vertical downhill trail in mind.

I was planning on getting SLX brakes for $230 with 160/180 rotors. However, my LBS has branded 486 takeoffs with rotors advertised online for $100.

What is the difference? Will the 486's be adequate with 160/180 rotors? Or are they basically the same brakes? This is a budget build, and I'm not a hardcore rider. So if I can save $$$ would be great!

Thanks

·
Master of Disaster
980 Posts
MX4U said:
I'm trying to decide if 775's are worth the extra $70 for free stroke adjustment (vs. M665's)
The "Free Stroke" adjustment screw on the M775's was a puzzle to me a first. I searched a bunch and never came upon a good explanation of how it works so here's my own: the Master Cylinder piston stop behind the brake lever is on a hinged plate. The angled Free Stroke screw moves the piston stop in or out by about 3mm. At the minimum setting, the Master Cylinder piston rests just short of the small port at the bottom of the reservoir. With Free Stroke at the maximum setting, the brake lever initially just pushes some fluid back into the reservoir before the port is passed and brake line pressure builds. It really doesn't do much unless your reservoir is already very full or you snatch the brake lever so fast that most of that initial fluid pulse doesn't have time to flow back into the reservoir.

I do like the monoblock calipers and forged (not stamped) levers.

·
Dozer
394 Posts
I used the M486s for two seasons. They aren't terrible, but they are pretty much entry-level hydraulics. The rotors are not good at all, but with upgraded rotors (SLX or better) the 486s are respectable. My biggest complaint is the rarity and lack of options for replacement pads. My rear lever never did feel great, and always had a slight squeak when the level is pulled.

I eventually got a pair of M775s.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.