Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to change my old LX rear derailleur, I started to think about X9 beacause of it's durability and perfect shifting but I've already changed my shifters to SLX. Does anybody have any experiences in combining SLX shifters and any SRAM rear derailleurs?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
gre2401 said:
I'm going to change my old LX rear derailleur, I started to think about X9 beacause of it's durability and perfect shifting but I've already changed my shifters to SLX. Does anybody have any experiences in combining SLX shifters and any SRAM rear derailleurs?
No. SRAM rear derailleurs use a different cable pull. Will not work.

·
Registered
385 Posts
It will not work...

You will require a SRAM rear derailleur shifter to shift a SRAM rear derailleur...

The Shimano fronts are compatible with SRAM derailleurs.

SRAM makes shifters that are compatible with Shimano derailleurs, the vice versa is not true.

You could get away with just installing the rear derailleur shifter with a SRAM unit. The twist grip shifters are cheap and work good (if yo like them...). Don't shy away from X7 stuff, it is great working, a tad heavier.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Repeating:
NO.

SRAM has 1:1 cable pull, Shimano has 1:2. In other words, SRAM deraileurs need half the cable pull with each click. That's why they say that SRAM is crisper and snappier, and Shimano is easier and smoother.

·
Registered
385 Posts
That's why SRAM rocks!

I've been down the Shimano path....in fact I ran Shimano for years and was always very happy with it. The stuff can work well, but in my experience, the SRAM is "no muss, no fuss". Easy setup, long lasting tune jobs, killer performance.The stuff just works, and it is very durable. I used to tune the drivetrain very often, now all I do is keep it clean and run it...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.