Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
thread crapper
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you run the XT cranks set up with a bashguard and come out with them being like the SLX w/ guard, or is the chainline different? Can I run it with a chainguide like the E-13 DRS? Or am I better off just getting the SLX to do this with. I'm gonna use it to race Super D and some DH. It's going on a 2008 Reign X-1, if that changes anything.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
scottap2003 said:
Can you run the XT cranks set up with a bashguard and come out with them being like the SLX w/ guard, or is the chainline different? Can I run it with a chainguide like the E-13 DRS? Or am I better off just getting the SLX to do this with. I'm gonna use it to race Super D and some DH. It's going on a 2008 Reign X-1, if that changes anything.
The chainline on the SLX is 46.8mm. which I think works better for a dual ring setup. The XT chainline is 50mm. Shimano also claim on their website that the SLX is a 100% stronger than XT. I'm not quite sure how you quantify that but they have things like steel inserts for the pedals. The XT threads into the aluminum.

Just to prove that I believe what I'm saying,:D here's a shot of my Intense with recently fitted SLX M665.

Ronnie.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
scottap2003 said:
Ok, next question, how strong is that bashguard? Can I smack it on a rock pretty good, or is it gonna shatter when it gets hit?
No idea! Hasn't happened yet but it looks pretty strong. What's the worst that could happen? You break it and put on an e-thirteen.:)

Ronnie.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
scottap2003 said:
That's true. Just curious if I need to wear extra armor around it in case little shards decide to attack.
This is what they say on the website under features for the SLX:

"High rigidity crank arm
Accurate chainline construction by 2-piece structure
Honeycomb designed bash guard absorbs impact"

Personally I'm not concerned. They also have a link to a writeup by the UK magazine, What Mountain Bike, What Mountain Bike magazine names SLX "The greatest groupset ever" I don't know about the rest of the group but the cranks are great. Gear changing is very smooth with the dedicated SLX two ring front derailleur.

Ronnie.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.