Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Death By Snoo Snoo
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone provide me with any insight on one vs. the other. i have read both reviews but i would like to hear from some one who has ridded both bikes on trail. Any info would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had a Bullit but replaced it with a 5.5 because it was too heavy for me on the trails. Although I made it as light as possible (35lbs), it still felt like a tank to ride around. It is basically made for hucking / freeriding , dowhhilling. It is bombproof and seems indestructable. I hated to have to replaced it but I hated getting passed by all bikers in flat more so it had to go.

When I first rode the 5.5....whoaa! What a difference! Although it weighs 32lbs, just 3lbs lighter than the Bullit, it felt very light to pedal and your momentum goes faster on every crank of the pedals whereas the Bullit, you have to keep pedaling just to keep your current speed. And when you stop to pedal, it slows down very quickly. The 5.5 is as burly as the Bullit and that is a major plus for me. I don't like skinny frames. Hucking drops of 3ft and higher scare the hell out of me and the Bullit is made for that. I just can't justify keeping it and not utilize its real potentials. Now that I have the 5.5, I have an excuse/reason on not to do drops of 3ft and higher. On the Bullit, people expect you to do big drops and you will feel like a sissy for not being able to. At least that's how it was for me. The 5.5 fits my riding style plus more. Every bike has its riding purpose and you just have to pick one base on your riding style.

As for the SLX, I have never ridden one. If you're looking at an SLX, I'd suggest you wait for the V8 to come out. According to Intense's specs, the frame's weight is the same as the 5.5 which is 6.5lbs. The V8 to me is like mixing the Bullit and 5.5 together. I'm already considering buying one but the 5.5 will suffice for now. If you decided to get the Bullit, I have a medium in anodized red for sale :D It is practically brand new.

Attachments

·
V-Shaped Rut
3,178 Posts
What are you asking for the bullit, frame only I take it?

SlideZ32 said:
I had a Bullit but replaced it with a 5.5 because it was too heavy for me on the trails. Although I made it as light as possible (35lbs), it still felt like a tank to ride around. It is basically made for hucking / freeriding , dowhhilling. It is bombproof and seems indestructable. I hated to have to replaced it but I hated getting passed by all bikers in flat more so it had to go.

When I first rode the 5.5....whoaa! What a difference! Although it weighs 32lbs, just 3lbs lighter than the Bullit, it felt very light to pedal and your momentum goes faster on every crank of the pedals whereas the Bullit, you have to keep pedaling just to keep your current speed. And when you stop to pedal, it slows down very quickly. The 5.5 is as burly as the Bullit and that is a major plus for me. I don't like skinny frames. Hucking drops of 3ft and higher scare the hell out of me and the Bullit is made for that. I just can't justify keeping it and not utilize its real potentials. Now that I have the 5.5, I have an excuse/reason on not to do drops of 3ft and higher. On the Bullit, people expect you to do big drops and you will feel like a sissy for not being able to. At least that's how it was for me. The 5.5 fits my riding style plus more. Every bike has its riding purpose and you just have to pick one base on your riding style.

As for the SLX, I have never ridden one. If you're looking at an SLX, I'd suggest you wait for the V8 to come out. According to Intense's specs, the frame's weight is the same as the 5.5 which is 6.5lbs. The V8 to me is like mixing the Bullit and 5.5 together. I'm already considering buying one but the 5.5 will suffice for now. If you decided to get the Bullit, I have a medium in anodized red for sale :D It is practically brand new.

·
Registered
255 Posts
So no one really answered his main question!! Im interested in this discussion too.

I'm looking buy a more beefy bike than my Tracer.

Something for the ski resorts and technical stuff where I live.

What are the pro and cons on the Bullit and SLX?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
The V8 which is now renamed to the Uzzi XVP will weight a heck of a lot more the 6.5lbs. That is a typo. With the 5th coil it will easily be a 9 to 10 lb frame like the VP Free. The SLX witha 5th or Swinger is an amazingly effective pedaler even for 7" of travel. However, having owned an SLX I have to agree with what Slide said. It can feel to heavy and tall. This bike is really only worth it if you want to go down down down and don't mind hauling its heavy ass up to get there. I've never tried the Bullit but I keep hearing the bike is not as efficient pedaling as you would be led to believe. This is a huge plus for the SLX because even though its not a pleasant bike to push uphill due to the geometry and weight it is tolerable. It does pedal almost like a hardtail with virtually no unwanted movement.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
SLX V Bullet

I've owned both and while there both fun in there own ways I liked the SLX better. The SLX has a plusher more active suspension that works better on rough trails while the Bullet is stiffer and climbs smooth trails a bit snappier. I think the uninterupted seat tube makes the Bullet stronger and a better freeride bike if you like to drop your seat much, and the Bullets cheeper. My problem with the Bullet has to do with brake jack, peddle feedback and chaingrowth. While the threashold shocks helps to lessen the first two problems and the floating brake kit will eliminate brake jacking nothing will keep it from being hard on the drivetrain due to the fact that the chain needs to be longer while the suspension is compressed. I'm a bit picky about suspension being fully active and there tens of thousands of happy Bullet owners so you'll probably be happy with whatever you choose. If you still have your old Bullet I'd stick with that.

·
Death By Snoo Snoo
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you

Gentleman, thank you very much for your input it has helped me to make a choice, i own an SL and love its configurability. I test road a bullit and an 5.5 and i feel so scruncthed up on the small frame. Intense has offerred me a crash replacement for my SL, i believe it is something like 1100 for a 5.5 as good a deal as it is I really do not like the way i feel on it. I will be checking out a built up SLX tomorrow and with any luck i will be riding that bad boy in Big Bear on Saturday.

slowrider said:
I've owned both and while there both fun in there own ways I liked the SLX better. The SLX has a plusher more active suspension that works better on rough trails while the Bullet is stiffer and climbs smooth trails a bit snappier. I think the uninterupted seat tube makes the Bullet stronger and a better freeride bike if you like to drop your seat much, and the Bullets cheeper. My problem with the Bullet has to do with brake jack, peddle feedback and chaingrowth. While the threashold shocks helps to lessen the first two problems and the floating brake kit will eliminate brake jacking nothing will keep it from being hard on the drivetrain due to the fact that the chain needs to be longer while the suspension is compressed. I'm a bit picky about suspension being fully active and there tens of thousands of happy Bullet owners so you'll probably be happy with whatever you choose. If you still have your old Bullet I'd stick with that.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Remember cockpit geometry has typically been virtually indentical accross the entire intense line. If you feel strange on a 5.5 you'll very likely feel the same on an SLX. Are you sure you didn't feel uncomfortable simply due to the paricular bar height or setup of the 5.5 you tried out?

·
Death By Snoo Snoo
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That does have something to do with it, in particular the seat positioning. I have a RaceFace XY seat post on my SL and the seat is as far back as it will go, but additionally on my SL I can adjust the seat position by conifiguring the seat stay to its furthest position, which I currently ride. I'm 5'8 abd have a long torso and short legs... which jacks me for bike fitament.

Hecubus said:
Remember cockpit geometry has typically been virtually indentical accross the entire intense line. If you feel strange on a 5.5 you'll very likely feel the same on an SLX. Are you sure you didn't feel uncomfortable simply due to the paricular bar height or setup of the 5.5 you tried out?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a 2001 Uzzi SLX For Sale

If interested I have a 2001 Uzzi SLX for sale. Size medium with 03' Boxxer fork, XTR Drivetrain, Fox RC Rear Shock. Good shape. Killer price!

Would consider trade for 5" travel bike like 5.5, 5Spot, etc.

[email protected]

Moe

munkyspank said:
can anyone provide me with any insight on one vs. the other. i have read both reviews but i would like to hear from some one who has ridded both bikes on trail. Any info would be much appreciated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.