Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Singletrack Mind
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been wrenching on bikes for a coupla decades but this thing has me scratching my head.

I'm installing an SLX front derailleur on my Racer-X and when I set up the cable "traditionally," with the cable barely slack in the granny ring, there isn't enough pull shift into the big ring. Not enough pull in the barrel nut to get it up there either. On closer inspection, there are two little hooks on top of the derailleur body that seem to want a cable routed through them.

Being male, I threw away the instructions (who needs them to install a derailleur?) but the tech sheet on Shimano's web page doesn't show anything special - and no hooks.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
The cable appears to be attached correctly for a top pull cable-stop.

Click the shifter whilst simultaneously pulling on the cable to make sure that it is in the "zero" position.

Also, you don't mention how many chainrings you are running.

On double chainring setups (smallest and middle, with bashguard), it is not always possible to run the derailleur cage 2-3mm above the biggest chainring (ie the middle ring in this case) as the inner part of the cage may catch on the smaller chainring. So, you have to set it up as if you were running a triple.

·
Singletrack Mind
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, total brain fart on my part. I started over again and tensioned the cable more, it all works!

Now... since I can't delete this post I'll just hang my head in shame ;-)

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
Looks like a FD M660 which I believe is for a 3 ring setup, which it sounds like you need.
Those 2 tabs that the cable runs through, are used to guide the cable for a bottom pull setup.
The derailluer is a dual pull.
You are running top pull so no need to worrk about those tabs.
Looks like you have it setup correctly.
Best thing to do is disconnect the cable completely.
Shift into your largest cog on the back.
Set the low limit on the front mech so there is 1-2mm space between the inside of the cage and the chain.
Now, make sure the front shifter is clicked all the way into the lowest position before reconnecting the cable.
Pull on the cable by hand, and click trigger to release all the cable so it is as slack as it is gonna get.
Turn your barrel adjuster all the way in, and back it out about a turn.
Reconnect your cable with a little slack in it.
Now shift into the middle range of your rear cassette.
Shift into the middle ring up front.
Now shift into the smallest cog out back, and adjust the cable tension on the front mech with the barrel adjuster so the outside of the cage is just barely not rubbing the chain.
Now, back out your H limit screw a bit and try to shift into the big ring.
If at this point it doesn't go, you need to back the H limit out more.
Not a bad idea to double check the derailluer alignment/height as well.
You want about 2mm of clearance between the cage and the teeth of the large ring when in the middle position.
Also check it's tangent, if the outside of the cage is parallel with the chainrings.
If it just flat out refuses to go, you may be having a chainline issue.
You've most likely done all of this, but I wanted to throw my process out there in case you missed a step.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts