Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Tonic Fall Guy
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doable? The Cinch chainrings allow you to flip for the right chainline, but BCD you can't, right? I have a bunch of parts I want to use for my Throttle. Thanks!

·
since 4/10/2009
34,602 Posts
there is no boost bottom bracket.

Only the hub dimension is notably different.

SOME boost frames can run non-boost crank/chainring setups no problem. Some cannot because of the chainstay. What matters is whether the frame manufacturer is taking advantage of the extra couple mm of space on the frame for the chainstays. Some don't, allowing you to run a narrower chainline. Some do, requiring you to run wider.

So the question you should be asking is whether you can fit a non-boost chainline on your frame.

If your crank has an integrated spider, the chainline can't be adjusted much. Shimano did this for a bit, and had different spiders for boost or non-boost cranks to position the chainring accordingly. New Shimano cranks have a direct mount interface so now boost is achieved with the chainring.

RaceFace CINCH cranks come in a lot of flavors. RaceFace sells a boost spindle so you can use a regular non-flipped chainring. Aftermarket companies sell chainrings for CINCH cranks that have different offsets, that can be run either regular or flipped, so you have a ton of ways you can tweak your chainline. For example, I have a RF Turbine CINCH crank I'm using on a boost bike that cannot fit non-boost chainlines. I have the non-boost spindle on my crank, and am using a Wolftooth CINCH chainring (boost, 3mm offset version) flipped to dish the chainring outboard.

·
Tonic Fall Guy
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there is no boost bottom bracket.

Only the hub dimension is notably different.

SOME boost frames can run non-boost crank/chainring setups no problem. Some cannot because of the chainstay. What matters is whether the frame manufacturer is taking advantage of the extra couple mm of space on the frame for the chainstays. Some don't, allowing you to run a narrower chainline. Some do, requiring you to run wider.

So the question you should be asking is whether you can fit a non-boost chainline on your frame.

If your crank has an integrated spider, the chainline can't be adjusted much. Shimano did this for a bit, and had different spiders for boost or non-boost cranks to position the chainring accordingly. New Shimano cranks have a direct mount interface so now boost is achieved with the chainring.

RaceFace CINCH cranks come in a lot of flavors. RaceFace sells a boost spindle so you can use a regular non-flipped chainring. Aftermarket companies sell chainrings for CINCH cranks that have different offsets, that can be run either regular or flipped, so you have a ton of ways you can tweak your chainline. For example, I have a RF Turbine CINCH crank I'm using on a boost bike that cannot fit non-boost chainlines. I have the non-boost spindle on my crank, and am using a Wolftooth CINCH chainring (boost, 3mm offset version) flipped to dish the chainring outboard.
Sorry - missed this somehow! WTH. Not sure how. Anyway, thanks..

I have an SLX. So I'd think that I could have boost chainline so long as the ring is 30t or bigger, correct? OneUp has these adapters (https://www.oneupcomponents.com/pag...or-optimal-1x-conversions-boost-and-non-boost)

Seems like this is doable? Basically I have a fancy cross bike I can't sell with lots of mtn parts on it and I'd love to use them on my Throttle. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.