Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a El Mariachi 2
It came with a slx 2x10 crankset.
I'd like to convert this into a single speed, not a 1x10.
do I use the inner ring or the outer ring for this?
can I buy any 104 bcd chainring?
Is it cheaper/easier to just buy a ss crankset?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Use either inner or outer. Just make sure you have the chainline right. See the sticky up top in this forum for "Chainline."

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand chainline, but it seems that 64 bcd is hard to come by for single speed chainrings.
any recommendations?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Pretty sure the big ring is just a 104 BCD so you can use a standard 104 BCD single chainring for the conversion. Like mentioned before, be sure the chainline is correct!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
By "inner" or "outer" you meant "small" or "big" chainring. Everybody else meant whether or not you place the ring on the inside or outside of the spider. Obviously you should replace the "big" ring with a single speed chainring. On a triple crankset you can run the chainring on either side and that gives you a little bit of chainline adjustability. I'm not sure if that's possible on a double. If it isn't, just run the new ring where the old one was.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Yeah, my bad. I thought Doubles could be run on the outside. Just run a 104bcd ring and adjust chainline in the back.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Using an SLX as SS too. Use any SS 104BCD ring, and double check you have the correct size ring bolts. I made that mistake once on a Sunday evening and the wait for the LBS on Monday was grueling!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts