Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have this, in 10t when I put power down the chain skips under casual pace it is fine.. Have adjusted limit screw anyway possible. All other gears are perfect in shifting. Using XT derailleur SLX cassette and chain.

·
Hoolie Ghoulie on Strava.
Ripmo
3,573 Posts
I wonder if you have too long of a chain? Or the rear derailleur spring is too weak, or stretched. First thing I would try is to see if every link is rotaing, individually, Making sure none are bound or frozen.

·
Registered
8,444 Posts
Has 424 miles on it and do not spend a great deal of time in the 10t, maybe the rest of the drivetrain has worn and the chain is skipping over the lest used 10t?
Shouldn't be worn then. Unless you are a really big guy on an e-bike.

Everything straight? Have you checked that the B-tension is adjusted properly?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Anyone have this, in 10t when I put power down the chain skips under casual pace it is fine.. Have adjusted limit screw anyway possible. All other gears are perfect in shifting. Using XT derailleur SLX cassette and chain.
I don't have this problem fingers crossed on my CS-M7100 cassettes, but Shimano 10t-cog slippage seems to be a common problem in eMTB circles, where too many people use maximum motor assistance (read: torque) to enable pedaling slowly in high gears.

I suspect that the 10t cog, aside from being asked to do too much with too few teeth, is too aggressively relieved for Hyperglide+, and every time you slip... you further round the bit of tooth tip that keeps the chain down. Basically the cog becomes ruined. In normal times you can just buy a replacement 10t + 12t set (they only come as a set)... but they are really hard to come-by in this pandemic-bike-boom/manufacturing-interruptions/shipping-fiasco situation we remain in, not to mention is now scarcity-priced if you can find them. They are theoretically available from sources in China (through Alibaba, etc.), but whether it's all real is anybody's guess... and then there's the shipping time.

I have not heard this problem to the same degree from SRAM 10t users.

·
Banned
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have this problem fingers crossed on my CS-M7100 cassettes, but Shimano 10t-cog slippage seems to be a common problem in eMTB circles, where too many people use maximum motor assistance (read: torque) to enable pedaling slowly in high gears.

I suspect that the 10t cog, aside from being asked to do too much with too few teeth, is too aggressively relieved for Hyperglide+, and every time you slip... you further round the bit of tooth tip that keeps the chain down. Basically the cog becomes ruined. In normal times you can just buy a replacement 10t + 12t set (they only come as a set)... but they are really hard to come-by in this pandemic-bike-boom/manufacturing-interruptions/shipping-fiasco situation we remain in, not to mention is now scarcity-priced if you can find them. They are theoretically available from sources in China (through Alibaba, etc.), but whether it's all real is anybody's guess... and then there's the shipping time.

I have not heard this problem to the same degree from SRAM 10t users.
I hope this is not the case, it is not an E-bike but I do ride with power vs. cadence. I have SRAM 10t and the E13 9t without any issues.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I would check your chain wear tool....400 miles is nothing on an XT chain.
Uh, my SLX 12-speed chains were replaced at 371 miles and 325 miles at ~0.5% elongation. Are you checking with a modern three-point style chain checker (eg. Park CC-4, Pedro's Chain Checker Plus II)?

·
Registered
680 Posts
I actually did check it against several other chains on other bikes because I was pretty shocked.

Every other chain I had tested fine. The XT 11 speed chain on my gravel bike has about 1,200 miles on it and tested fine.
thats insane. I will check mine later. I'm going on about 1k miles with no perceivable performance hit. 300 mile chain life seems insane to me.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Uh, my SLX 12-speed chains were replaced at 371 miles and 325 miles at ~0.5% elongation. Are you checking with a modern three-point style chain checker (eg. Park CC-4, Pedro's Chain Checker Plus II)?
I have a pedros, but truth be told, i hadn't even considered checking it as its been working fine. I'm closing in on 1k miles on my XT chain with no perceivable performance hit. I will check and report back later.

·
since 4/10/2009
37,097 Posts
I had 10t skip on my xtr bits when my b-screw was out of adjustment. I didn't set it up very well at first. I think I had too little b-gap, which in the small cogs, resulted in not taking up extra chain length, so I got skipping due to the slack. at first I thought my chain was too long, but that wasn't the case.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
thats insane. I will check mine later. I'm going on about 1k miles with no perceivable performance hit. 300 mile chain life seems insane to me.
The only reason I decided to even bother checking was because I’m gearing up to go on a long weekend trip to NC to mountain bike.

Figured I might as well as check chain wear while I was going over the whole bike.

Shifting did get a bit crisper, but it wasn’t like my bike was shifting like garbage.

Thankfully I had an extra XT chain sitting in the toolbox and Jenson had the XT chains in stock so I ordered up a new backup.

·
Banned
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had 10t skip on my xtr bits when my b-screw was out of adjustment. I didn't set it up very well at first. I think I had too little b-gap, which in the small cogs, resulted in not taking up extra chain length, so I got skipping due to the slack. at first I thought my chain was too long, but that wasn't the case.
Bingo, tightened the B screw a turn and no skipping in the 10t today, who would of thought!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.