Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
a.k.a. BicycleKicks
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a new set of Juicy 5's that came on a bike I bought... the lever feel is MUCH crisper than on my 2 year old J7's. The J7's have more friction when squeezing them and seem to release a little slower too... they just seem sluggish compared to the new ones. As with a lot of things, over a long enough time you don't really notice the deterioration in performance until after you do the routine maintenance or replace it :nono: .

I have never bled the J7's in the two years I owned them, so I expect that will help. I know I know, I should've bled them by now. In fact, I sort of tried. I once asked a shop to let me know when they got their bleed kits in stock, but of course I never heard from them again, and I just didn't bother after that :rolleyes: .

In this case will I likely have to do some sort of piston cleaning as well as a bleed? If so, how is it done?

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Pump the pistons out a bit, clean with alcohol or brake cleaner on a q-tip, lube with DOT fluid. Bleed. Also make sure that you don't have a bunch of crud built up around the pushrod or bushings in the lever.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.