Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
ROBOTIC RESERVE
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I got a little issue with my VP Free; for whatever reason I think my VP Free has a hard time pedaling and rolling even when I push it!
I rode my friends Big Hit 2, just your basic DH/FR bike nothing special. His bike seemed to roll with much less effort then my high end VP Free. After the ride I checked my hubs and chain line to make sure everything was in spec, it was. The only thing I can think of is the front tire, Michelin 2.8 DH I’m running up front. But still seems odd that a tire can make a bike pedal and roll so poorly.
Set up…
Chris King hubs front and rear
Saint cranks and BB
Michelin 2.8 UST Front
Michelin 2.5 UST Rear

Any ideas?

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Huge tire

And that Michy DH32 is a max traction tire. It's practically a small dirt motor tire. I had one on a Bullit in a Super T fork and later in a Monster T. Unless I was going downhill at a decent clip, that tire was like rolling in wet cement. Don't get me wrong...it's a great tire. It's just generally too much tire for anything short of shuttled DH and bike park gnarliness.

·
ROBOTIC RESERVE
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really like the large front tire, it enables be to "run over" stuff and run a lower PSI. I guess i can try something smaller and see if that helps.

·
All Mt, DH
488 Posts
I have run a Michelin 2.8 a few years back. Its really big and quite heavy also. Its still a great reliable tire, although the compound I found is a bit harder than a Maxxis 42a.
That said I ran a Minion 2.7 for a while, but now have gone back to Minion 2.5 for front and back... Oh yeah, running tubeless on Ex823 rims.... way to go for me.
In summary you do notice the weight of a heavier tire up front when going uphill, but its sure great going down!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Captain Snakebite said:
Also, im running 823's so would need a UST tire that runs true to size.
On 823's you can run regular (Non UST) Minion's with Stan's just fine. I've been doing that for a few years now with not a single problem including no flats. The 2.5 Super Tacky's are great and will definitely be an improvement in regard to rolling resistance.

·
Registered
552 Posts
tires might not be the issue, but the spring rate for the frame could be. If you are running an air shock increase the pressure to stiffen up the rear. But if you are running a coil, try tightening the coil down a bit or consider a new higher spring weight coil for your ride.

What is your weight?
what kind of shock are you running on the frame (coil/air)?
what is your current spring weight?

oh, and reguarding your tires...... increase the tire pressure

·
ROBOTIC RESERVE
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
stylie said:
tires might not be the issue, but the spring rate for the frame could be. If you are running an air shock increase the pressure to stiffen up the rear. But if you are running a coil, try tightening the coil down a bit or consider a new higher spring weight coil for your ride.

What is your weight?
what kind of shock are you running on the frame (coil/air)?
what is your current spring weight?

oh, and reguarding your tires...... increase the tire pressure
Weight 223
Shcok DHX Coil 650

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.