Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
I rot before I ripen
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After riding with Tina (see previous post), I headed out to Northern Bumbitoowhack to hit a new step-down-gap thingy with my bud Vexhex. We'd been working on this jump for a few months. Originally conceived as a little bump over a minisucle creek, it soon burgeoned like a retired heavyweight boxer into a mighty step-down-gap thingy. Air France hit it when it was half as high, cased it hard, and took a dirt nap. Then he went to Whistler and that left us idiots to figure it out ourselves. Since then, folks had looked at it, but no one had dared.

I was actually planning to hit it today, but I had a headache, and Tina and I are going to Whistler at the end of the month, so I didn't want to get injured.

So I was pretty surprised when Vex took a couple run-ins and then hit the thing. On a hardtail he recently painted lavender.

The step-down-gap thingy isn't that heinous--maybe 8 feet out and 5 feet down. The real snickety part is the s-turn you have to navigate right before the jump. You come in fast, pad the brake into the turn, climb the berm up and down left, and descend upon the face. There you have the option to brake or commit.

Truth be told, I had packed up the camera after Vex's initial furtive attempts. I figured that if I wasn't up to hitting it, no way would the big V do it.

But I was wrong. The dude sent it, cased the landing just like Air France, and let out an exultant yell. Sweet hurrah, the dude had done it!

So, like any normal crazy person, Vex sent it twice more, cased it good, and took a break to guzzle a victory beer.

After his second beer, I was able to convince him to hit it again, just so the folks back home could have something to remember him by.

So I got the pic, and a few more, of Vex hitting the step-down-gap thingy for a fourth time, this time, landing square on the tranny. I knew he could do it.

damon

·
Registered
342 Posts
nice story.....

have to watch yourself there mr. levee.....your schooling is showing through.

plus i like my lilac bike - time to get some color stylin back into mtn bikin!

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,005 Posts
very sweet pics.....hitting that turn before the jump.....mad props

·
Registered
342 Posts
shivers up my spine

levee67 said:
Air France casing it hard. But at least he rolled away.

damon
that last pict of the case is nightmare worthy! just gives me cold shivers!

·
Me hates pinchflat
2,415 Posts
vexhex said:
that last pict of the case is nightmare worthy! just gives me cold shivers!
I think that the second pic is worse :eekster:
Was he trying to steer away from the landing in that pic?

·
Registered
342 Posts
not sure -

545cu4ch said:
I think that the second pic is worse :eekster:
Was he trying to steer away from the landing in that pic?
it is just the last one catches just that moment of coming up short.

·
keystone addict
542 Posts
Any bike damage on that case?

Thats about as bad as he could have possibly cased it if he had tried. damn.

On that first one by the guy on the a-line, it almost looks like he would have been fine if he hit the rear brake and dropped the nose/raised the tail, but who knows...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts