Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Right where to start. First off I should actually state what's wrong with my 7Point (2006 7Point9 by the way). To cut it short my frame has developed 3D travel. The annoying thing is this happened very quickly from actually getting the bike. Two weekends riding then one week in Whistler and it was there. The problem area is where the rear triangle if connected to the bottom linkage. What has happened is on the drive side where the bearing butts up against the linkage, the inner race had eaten into the soft aluminium. https://www.tfdesigns.co.uk/Images/lowerlinkage.jpg
This may only be a small amount but as a result the bolts that tighten up this area now butt up against the pin. As a result there is a large amount of play down there, up and down, side to side, and the diagonal plane. I can't ride the bike, one because I don't want to damage it any more and two it rides like cr*p.

Now I tried to see if I could get it sorted under warranty (in the UK) but because I had removed all bolts and threadlocked them this apparently voided the warranty. Since then I couldn't even be bothered to try and fix it, didn't even what to ride it.

If this was the only problem I'd had it wouldn't be that bad but so far I've been plagued with problems connected to this frame. To start with the frame was delayed for 2-3 weeks in Italy by the Italian imported with at the time not estimated date available just it'll be there when it's there. Next the frame came with 2 upped cups for the head set and then to top it off once built up I found out the upper linkage plates were for the 8.75" i2i shock. Fine and dandy apart from the DHX air is 9"i2i. Iron Horse were made aware of this and was promised the plates would be sent out asap. Two weeks later and after countless emails the plates were eventually sent out taking a week to cross the pond. All this before I had even a chance to ride the bike. Not fun.

Now the question is somehow fix up the frame for however much it's going to cost, cut my losses and sell so I can shift to a more mass-produced (not that great) but arguably more reliable company.
The other option is fix up, new shock (because the DHX Air just doesn't work well at all for how I set up a bike and ride)and new forks (Fox 36 are amazing but I need something a little taller). With the new shock, chances are it will be a DHX coil which I will then need to get tuned (probably just get it PUSHed) to suit the DW link and also my own riding style. Now this is a fair bit of cash to throw at a bike that has done nothing but leave me unimpressed so far. The only reason I am considering is because I know I haven't seen the best of this bike, but there is a huge question mark over the durability and longevity of the rear end in my mind.

Rant over. Sorry about the length, just had to get it off my chest and no better place that here.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
2007 7POINT frrames have a larger 15mm bearing and axle assy at that pivot.

There was a lot of testing on the 2006 7POINT done at Whistler in 2006, a member of the Iron Horse Development League, Len Hornidge lives there. After 100 days on the mountain, his bike showed signs of wear in the same place, but not nearly as much as this (0.10 mm of wear after 100 days). This leaves me with 2 possibilities on why this has happened:

1) The bike was ridden with the pivot loose for many runs
2) Somehow the lower link is not the correct heat treatment (not very likely, as all of the links are forged and heat treated 7075, all produced at the same time)

The simplest solution is to source a new 2006 lower link. The 2007 link with the bigger bearings will also fit your bike, but you will need a 2007 swingarm to work with it.

I don't recommend a DHX air on the 7POINT. The shock wallows mid range in its travel significantly. A coil will feel a lot better in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am wondering where this frame came from. I work for a large Iron Horse dealer in the UK and I seem to remember seeing one or two of these frames come through in a special order. Im not debating the issues you have with the bike or any problems you might incur, however I am sure that there is more to the story of you having a void warranty due to threadlocking the bolts on.

·
Registered
570 Posts
klunky said:
I am wondering where this frame came from.
Me, before I left the shop, gutted you are still having problems Tom, both of us went through a shitload of hassle getting that frame!
Klunky, I believe him disassembling the linkage (to threadlock) is being used as the reason the importer is not giving warranty?
Dave, Iron Horse provided the frame with a DHX air shock.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers Doug.
Yeah sorry about the confusion regarding the threadlock. What was meant was, it was the taking the bolts out to apply the threadlock not the threadlock as a substance that was the problem.

Dave, in terms of it coming loose while riding then yeah that's what happened, I even remember the day, just so happened to be raining that day in Whistler. Thing is I am really anal when it comes to checking my bike over. I would never start a ride with loose bolts. When I found it had come loose, (top of Fitz chair by the way) I ended my day then and there but problem was the damage had been done, and the play was there so even when I tightened the bolts up it would work it's self loose again and again.

As Doug said the frame came with the DHX air. It's the white 7Point9 frame which apparently isn't meant to exist so I was told by a few people out there?

In terms of fixing the problem I will not be buying a new lower linkage as I want the problem fixed, it will be off to a machine shop to sort it out. Was hoping it wouldn't have come to that but if I want to sell it or ride it I still have to fix it..

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
thomas_4th said:
Cheers Doug.
Yeah sorry about the confusion regarding the threadlock. What was meant was, it was the taking the bolts out to apply the threadlock not the threadlock as a substance that was the problem.

Dave, in terms of it coming loose while riding then yeah that's what happened, I even remember the day, just so happened to be raining that day in Whistler. Thing is I am really anal when it comes to checking my bike over. I would never start a ride with loose bolts. When I found it had come loose, (top of Fitz chair by the way) I ended my day then and there but problem was the damage had been done, and the play was there so even when I tightened the bolts up it would work it's self loose again and again.

As Doug said the frame came with the DHX air. It's the white 7Point9 frame which apparently isn't meant to exist so I was told by a few people out there?

In terms of fixing the problem I will not be buying a new lower linkage as I want the problem fixed, it will be off to a machine shop to sort it out. Was hoping it wouldn't have come to that but if I want to sell it or ride it I still have to fix it..
Ah, the 7POINT9, forgot that beast made it to Europe. There were none in the USA.

Hey Thomas, I jsut had an idea, I think this will work for you.

Press out the extended inner race 608 2RS max bearings.Get yourself a couple standard 608 2RS MAX bearings. Enduro makes them, and the MAX type is important. This is the same bearing as used in the rear seatstay pivot on your 7POINT, all Sundays, MKIIIs, Azures. It is a very common bearing. MAX type is important, a non-max type will not last. Use a 3mm wide washer on each side in between the bearings and link (8mm ID) to space the bearings from the link. This setup was used on all 2005 MKIIIs, 7POINTs, and Azures. Hundreds of other bikes use 8mm bearings with 3mm washers, so your LBS may have something. It is important that the spacers are exactly 3mm wide. Less or more will cause play. The washers that you got will eb larger diameter than the worn away area in your link, and should work reliably for you for a long time.

I hope this helps you out. I know how frustrating things can get sometime.

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.