Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have an '04 Attack trail. The other day I noticed some vertical play in the rear end. When I pick the rear of the bike up there is there is some ( although slight) slop in the rear linkage. Is this normal? or should I get in touch with Marin and see what they say? :confused:

·
Registered
647 Posts
Your mom has slop in her rear... sorry, I had to.

Your bearings are likely worn, call Marin and get some new ones to slap in there.

OR

If you have a vernier caliper you can take the measurements of the bearings (I'm assuming sealed cartridge) and look them up on this list. They make really good bearings.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If its vertical-i.e., you feel a slight tick when you lift the saddle up, it's more likely will be the DU bushing on the shock eyelet itself. This is a low friction bushing that the pressed in shock reducers(the aluminum collar/spacers) slide/rotate against as a swingarm goes though its movement. These will wear out in time and can be replaced by the shock maker or a GOOD shop(ask them if they can perform the service-if they understand what you're saying you're safe). The bushings are pretty thin so if you try to push out the old one without a proper sized tool you can bung things up in a hurry:)
Usually bikes with bearing rear assemblies stay pretty tight. If you want to trouble shoot you can remove the just the rear shock bolt(keep all linkages attached) and cycle the swingarm without it attached to the shock. If you feel slop after checking proper torque on the bolts then you could have a bearing issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.