Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
never ender
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure whether this counts as Norcal or Socal, but I'm going down to Santa Monica for the weekend and I want to stop and ride Montana de Oro on the way. Can anybody recommend me a route, or send a link to a decent printable map? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Good place to ride. You can find a map with a quick google search. I've ridden up the creek by headquarters. They make you ride up the north side which is a fireroad climb. At the very back before the green gate you will take a left. Single track climb is the East Boundary trail. Sweet stuff. Several ways down. Have fun.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Here's a good route,although kinda short: Park at the bottom of Ridge Trail. Head up Ridge. Continue over the top of the hill and down towards East Boundry. Take East Boundry (as long as it's not wet, because East Boundry gets MANGLED in the rain) all the way till it ends on the fire road after a great descent. Turn around and ride back up East Boundry. Then go back the way you came, up to Ridge, and ride Ridge back to your car.

Barranca is a lot of fun too, but most people don't like to go up it. A good loop would be to start at the first parking lot right past the initial MDO sign on Pecho Valley/LOVR. Ride down to the horse camp, then head out towards East Boundry. Take Barranca down, then head left on the fire road, go up East Boundry, and after EB passes Barranca, go left up towards Ridge trail. Take Ridge down to the end. Then either return to your car on the road or by heading up on Ridge and riding back down Manzanita (super, super fun) to get back to the horse camp.

There are a LOT of horsies out there right now, along with TONS of hikers, so please, be extra careful.

·
weekend worrier
562 Posts
I usually park at the bottom of Ridge Trail, ride approx. 2 miles up the road to the horse camp, ride the fire road to Manzanita Trail, go up Manzanita to East Boundary, take East Boundary across and down to Islay Creek Road, go about 100 yards towards the main road to Barranca, ride up Barranca to East Boundary, East Boundary to Ridge, climb up Ridge to the top, go down Ridge to the car. That's around 11 miles. One of my favorite rides whenever I visit my family in SLO. :thumbsup:

You'll probably get more of a response in the SoCal forum. Typically, Monterey County and north = NorCal, SLO County and south = SoCal, if you have to split the state in two.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.