Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tire that has a slit in the sidewall and the tube bulges through a little bit. Is this something that is fixable with a patch since I run with tubes or does this require a replacement tire? The tread is still good on the tire but I'm willing to replace if necessary....I'd prefer to save the money and fix the tire though if at all possible.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
P.S. I did ride with it like that for a little before I realized there was a hole when I got home and was washing my bike

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
My tires have multiple slits in the sidewalls from rocks, and are patched inside with Park emergency tire boots (TB-2), after first cleaning the inside of the casing to get good adhesion. The people I talked to while researching this for myself, said they continued riding their tires until the knobs were worn down to the casing.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
swengo86 said:
I have a tire that has a slit in the sidewall and the tube bulges through a little bit. Is this something that is fixable with a patch since I run with tubes or does this require a replacement tire? The tread is still good on the tire but I'm willing to replace if necessary....I'd prefer to save the money and fix the tire though if at all possible.
You need to use something that does not stretch if you try to fix it. The integrity of the case has been compromised. A tube patch alone is not enough.

Or just replace it.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
To me, it depends how big the cut is. If only small, and the tread still has a lot of life left in it, I'll use the large patch from a patch kit, as well as a layer of duct tape. This method has held up well for me on a 60 TPI WTB Prowler that I damaged over a year ago.

·
Never trust a fart
4,343 Posts
You can also use the FedEx envelopes. They work just as well as the boots, but without the adhesive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts