Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
just like a speeder-bike
329 Posts
LyndaW said:
I've been riding in the rain and there is more in the forecast. After about an hour my grips come loose and slip around - which is very annoying.

Is there any product that works well to glue them on so they don't get loose in the wet?
You can always try hairspray. I've had it work on some bar/grip combos, but not others...

Back when I used Oury's non-lock on grips, I used 3M weatherstrip adhesive (as recommended by Oury). You can find it at an auto parts store. I don't think it's that expensive; I think it's made for gluing rubber to metal. Nasty stuff, but it seems to work pretty well.

That said, I've switched to Oury's lock-on grips now. You can find 'em online (clamp and grip combo) for under $20 I think. Worth the weight penalty and $!

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Just one of ShoeGoo's many uses!

Only drawback of lock-on grips for me is the economics. LBS usually doesnt stock the grip "refill" that I want, and mail order usually comes to around $20. For grips, thats too much for me.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Another vote for Lock-On's. Pay the premium now and enjoy grips that don't slip that can be removed easily. I will never use anything else.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Lock-Ons. I have both the Oury's and the ODI Rogues on my bikes. Both are very comfortable and stick like glue.

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,164 Posts
Barkdog said:
You can always try hairspray. I've had it work on some bar/grip combos, but not others...
That said, I've switched to Oury's lock-on grips now. You can find 'em online (clamp and grip combo) for under $20 I think. Worth the weight penalty and $!
Same here. I've used the hairspray bit several times without issues. Now using Oury Lock-ons and like 'em.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Here's the cheap way:
Take em off.
Clean and dry both the grips and bars thoroughly.
Clean the bars with isopropyl alcohol.
Wet the inside of the grips with a tiny bit of water and force them on.
Or, if you have access to an air compresser, blow them on.
If you've used water, put the bike out in the hot sun and let it all bake off.
When they're dry and no longer rotate on the bars, wire them on with bailing wire on both ends of the grips.
Pull the wires tight so they bite into the rubber of the grips, but not so tight so as to cut them or break the wires.
Snip the ends and poke them into the rubber.
Ride the **** outta the bike.
Lenny

·
Map Maker
1,244 Posts
oury grips and wd-40 works every time.
just don't spray too much or it will take longer to dry then you want.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Wire tie

LyndaW said:
I've been riding in the rain and there is more in the forecast. After about an hour my grips come loose and slip around - which is very annoying.

Is there any product that works well to glue them on so they don't get loose in the wet?
If you can't afford Odi Lock-ons or Ergon Grips that have bolted collars, then wire tie both ends of each grip to keep moisture from rain or sweat from getting under the grip an working them loose from the paint, motorcycle grip-glue, WD-40, hairspray, etc. I've seen zip-ties used too, but they would stretch over time.

:cool:

- ray

·
NMBP
2,159 Posts
Lynda, you must not be riding locally. Not much rain since the weekend, and scourching hot temps predicted.

I love my lock-ons, but I wish I could find a nice manly sized diameter (other than Ergons).

·
MTB Rider
3,007 Posts
Grip length ...

Reposado Man said:
Just one of ShoeGoo's many uses!

Only drawback of lock-on grips for me is the economics. LBS usually doesnt stock the grip "refill" that I want, and mail order usually comes to around $20. For grips, thats too much for me.
I've found selection on grip length very limited. I run both Gripshifts and bar ends. I would like a net length of 100mm. But the closest things I can find are the shorties (90mm) and a scarce 110mm. 130mm grips are far more common. I am compensating my simply adding another lock on bit at the ends as the only place you really need padding is on radius nerve (near you pinky).

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
crashtestdummy said:
Not as thick as I would like.
Use tennis racket grip tape to add thickness. Wrap it tight and electrical tape (and wire-tie)the loose end.

:thumbsup:

- ray

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
Lenny said:
Here's the cheap way:
Take em off.
Clean and dry both the grips and bars thoroughly.
Clean the bars with isopropyl alcohol.
Wet the inside of the grips with a tiny bit of water and force them on.
Or, if you have access to an air compresser, blow them on.
If you've used water, put the bike out in the hot sun and let it all bake off.
When they're dry and no longer rotate on the bars, wire them on with bailing wire on both ends of the grips.
Pull the wires tight so they bite into the rubber of the grips, but not so tight so as to cut them or break the wires.
Snip the ends and poke them into the rubber.
Ride the **** outta the bike.
Lenny
I've used the alcohol trick as well and it has worked fine. Just like Lenny said, clean the bars and the inside of the grips with alcohol and let them dry. Then all I do to put them on is put MORE alcohol in the grip and slide it on. Twist them a few times and all them to dry in the sun. This should only take a minute or so and...Whala!!!! They should be stickin' now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts