Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just starting to ride some more aggressive trails in my area, and am finding the stock tires (IRC FreedomCross) on my Prophet aren't quite cutting it...

Problems, I am having ( in order of most frustrating/painful):

1) Slipping while climbing on wet rocks....spinning out.

2) Slipping in mud/muck.

3) Little traction with any speed on dry moderate loose gravel.

Not sure if any one tire can help on all three of these things...I tend to ride on fairly wet trails in the White Mtns (New Hampshire)....and getting traction in wet stuff is my main concern.

Recommendations??

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Could also be attributed to your technique; how would you rate your skills for these types of situations?
Agreed. Climbing on wet rocks and roots, mud, and loose gravel is more about technique than equipment.

BTW there are 5 different tires in the Freedomcross line.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I often get off the seat on climbs, but don't stand up straight as if I was on the road...try to keep my body over the seat generally. The climbs I am referring to are generally short ones...15-20 feet coming off a waterbar.

The 3rd situation I mentioned (little traction of dry moderate loose gravel) isn't a climbing thing..that is just when cruising of pretty level ground or downhill....but moreso at higher speeds.

Tires are the Trail Bear from IRC.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
BassChop said:
Thanks for the replies.

I often get off the seat on climbs, but don't stand up straight as if I was on the road...try to keep my body over the seat generally. The climbs I am referring to are generally short ones...15-20 feet coming off a waterbar.

The 3rd situation I mentioned (little traction of dry moderate loose gravel) isn't a climbing thing..that is just when cruising of pretty level ground or downhill....but moreso at higher speeds.

Tires are the Trail Bear from IRC.
Stay seated. Tires with sticky rubber grip a bit more on wet rocks but I agree with the others, it's got more to do with technique. Stay seated and pedal in circles, when you pedal in quick, strong strokes, the rear tire will slip out for sure.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Also, what tire psi do you usually run?

I've been using IRC Trailbears 2.25 for the last 3 years on our WI roots, rocks, leaves, etc. Not sure ANY tire is good on damp rocks or roots.

Traction (and handling) is vastly different depending on the tire psi. I've run as low as 20psi but it gets very sloppy handling that low. 25-28psi is where I'm usually happiest. 170lbs rider on FS bike btw.

If you're much above 30psi you'll skitter and bounce all over, depending on your weight of course.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys...its good to see folks looking at riding style/ability, vs solving problems with gear..

Tire Pressure...fairly low (where did my guage go!?!?!), but I am 210 (6'5").

Pedalling in circles is definitely something that I can put into proactice right away.. I have banged up my body on many rides doing a hard push that ended up not so pretty.

I used to ride purely hard gravel roads and pavement on a mtn bike. In those situations, I would always get up on the saddle, and it was how I got power (at least in my perception) and used some other muscles...that way of riding is really in-grained in me, and need to adjust for the new singletrack that I am finding myself enjoying more than anything else.

Momentum...that seems to be a good mantra for getting through everything singletrack!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The techniques you can use are endless. For riding over rocks and roots etc you can lift your front tire (pedal or arms) and then unweight or hop the rear to get it up the obstacle. Your tire pressure and suspension configuration will help with this. In the hard tail days though, you just had to weight shift to get up a lot of obstacles and save pedaling for after you bounced on the obstacle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.