Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
And He was Not
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone out there had a problem with a Ti frame holding a Tompson post?

My last Ti frame did fine, I've measured everything. Tightened the snot out of it.I'm talking way tighter than I should be. There is no ovalization. It's just wont stay put. Could the grease be allowing it to work down. I'm getting ready to try and rough up the inside of the frame with some 36 grit paper. This isn't a rookie error, and I'm using a Salsa lip lock on it

·
Registered
18,813 Posts
Enoch said:

My last Ti frame did fine, I've measured everything. Tightened the snot out of it.I'm talking way tighter than I should be. There is no ovalization. It's just wont stay put. Could the grease be allowing it to work down. I'm getting ready to try and rough up the inside of the frame with some 36 grit paper. This isn't a rookie error, and I'm using a Salsa lip lock on it
Maybe first try coating the post with rock climbing or gymnastics chalk. It did the trick for me.

·
singlespeed smash brother
318 Posts
I had to blue lock tight my thompson on my steel imbred to stop it slipping. I'm running the same post in my ti dean now with out any problems. ( I just checked and there has been no slipage in the 2 months I've had it.) I have a bolt through seat collar similar to the salsa bolt thru where the bolt threads into a cam.

·
Sugary Exoskeleton
4,657 Posts
Slipping Post and Collar

I had a Litespeed Classic the year the seat clamp was welded on for a traditional look. I would tighten it down and the Ti would just stretch and break binder bolts. Seat dropped all the time. Litespeed "fixed" the frame and it was much shinier and had new decals, but I still had the same problem. Curiously, although they denied that it was an issue with this frame, the next year the frame came with a traditional collar-style clamp.

Wow, that was kind of long, and of very little relevance... I tied an onion on my belt, which was the fashion at the time.

Oh, wait, now I remember... clamps. If the clamping collar is not original equipment, check to make sure that the collar is the correct inside diameter. Sometimes people replace them and buy the wrong size, i.e. 31.8 instead of 30mm or 28.6mm. Easy to miss since the differences are small.

Enoch said:

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
shwinboy said:
I had to blue lock tight my thompson on my steel imbred to stop it slipping. I'm running the same post in my ti dean now with out any problems. ( I just checked and there has been no slipage in the 2 months I've had it.) I have a bolt through seat collar similar to the salsa bolt thru where the bolt threads into a cam.
Blue locktite works wonders-be careful not to use too much.Don't use grease.

·
And He was Not
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You would think the machining marks on the Tompson post would help it stay put. I roughed up the inside of the frame(it was very slick). Going to try the chalk thingy. If that doesn't work, I'll be buying a new post.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Enoch said:
You would think the machining marks on the Tompson post would help it stay put. I roughed up the inside of the frame(it was very slick). Going to try the chalk thingy. If that doesn't work, I'll be buying a new post.
Try a Surly Constrictor before buying a new post. I had a dekerf that would slip posts all the time so I swapped the seat clamp from my 1x1 and never had an issue again. Used a Thomson on that bike.

·
And He was Not
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BThor said:
have that issue also...end up cutting up the old trusty coke can....just a small shim should do ya....

after that ...no slippy...
Mine fits too tight for that... The sidewalk chalk felt prety good after I put it on the post and in the frame.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
ATXSS said:
Try a Surly Constrictor before buying a new post. I had a dekerf that would slip posts all the time so I swapped the seat clamp from my 1x1 and never had an issue again. Used a Thomson on that bike.
The Constrictor worked for me with the Thomson. I wanted a QR though.

·
And He was Not
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
shiggy said:
The Constrictor worked for me with the Thomson. I wanted a QR though.
That's the funny thing, Mine is Salsa lip lock without the skewer. I've never been of fan of skewewrs for this reason. I thought this was one of the best binders out there. I'm not convinced it is the clamps fault at this point. I'll post back after my next ride.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Enoch said:
That's the funny thing, Mine is Salsa lip lock without the skewer. I've never been of fan of skewewrs for this reason. I thought this was one of the best binders out there. I'm not convinced it is the clamps fault at this point. I'll post back after my next ride.
Really no difference in the clamping of the Lip Lock and the QR version. The Constrictor works MUCH better.

BTW I think the I think the machining marks on the Thomson are the reason it tends to slip. Not enough surface area to hold well.

·
Steamroller
1,227 Posts
Salsa may be the issue

Enoch said:

I bought and tried a Salsa QR seat collar at Sea Otter last year. It allowed my post to slip and I could not get it to stop. I went back to the stock collar and had no more slipping. I have Hope QR collars on both of my main bikes now and they seem to hold if I keep them real tight.

·
And He was Not
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know everyone was losing sleep over this so here is the skinny...between removing ALL the grease,roughing up the inside of the seat tube with some 36 grit, and covering the post and tube with sidewalk chalk, It did not move. Thanks to every one for there advice.

·
paintbucket
2,825 Posts
Enoch said:
I know everyone was losing sleep over this so here is the skinny...between removing ALL the grease,roughing up the inside of the seat tube with some 36 grit, and covering the post and tube with sidewalk chalk, It did not move. Thanks to every one for there advice.
Just greasing the threads on the bolt so I can get more torque on it has always worked for me..... :)

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Enoch said:
Hope you can get the post out when you need to in a few months. Ti and aluminum can become one without grease or antiseize between them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.